1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Meteor shower tonight for those who are interested.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by KrS14, Aug 12, 2010.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

The annual Perseid meteor shower is tonight for those who are interested in such things.

In general look towards the NE after midnight and you should be able to spot a few :) Being out of city lights drastically helps with spotting them.

2. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

I saw one whole meteor, YAYS! That's what I get for living in the kitchen :)

3. ken007

ken007 Member

hi there, about 8 or9 years ago we all got told to keep an eye out for a meteor shower.the experts said between 3 and 4 in the morning was the best time, as it turned out i worked graveyard and thought this will be good. anyway me and a fellow worker went into a dark area to observe. The clouds covered the sky and we thought what a waste of time then all of a sudden the clouds dissappeared and we were in awe. i said to him"theres one (meteor), then he said there's one and for the next half hour we seen i reckon a couple every second or more. i will never forget the night or the sight. At times you couldnt even keep up with them.The funny thing is ,nobody else seemed to realise what had happened.

4. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

For sure Ken, 120/hour isn't uncommon in the last few years, that's a good meteor shower :)

It's really quite a surreal experience to sit out in the backyard at 3 in the morning watching the night sky and seeing meteors streak across it. Makes ya realize how small we really are :)

5. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

I LOVE watching the Perseids. Used to crawl out on the roof of the barn to watch them. One of my favorite sky observations was watching a space shuttle travel the horizon just before dawn. Was able to watch it for nearly a minute before it disappeared over the horizon. Very nice!

I have also made the 1 1/2 hour ride to the Goldendale, WA observatory on several occasions to look through the big scope. They point it at Saturn and nebulae and allow the public to take a peek. The images look exactly like the do in National Geographic. Duh!

Here's some info on the telescope. Go to this site for more info/pictures http://www.perr.com/gosp.html

The Goldendale Observatory Interpretive Center is located on a hilltop North of Goldendale, Washington. It is a unique facility because it caters to the general public with programs designed to educate the novice as well as the experienced star gazer. They have a number of telescopes including a 24.5 inch that is used in the evenings for public viewing sessions. The facility is run by the Washington State Parks Department. Steve Stout serves as the facility supervisor and is a very knowledgeable amateur astronomer and friend of mine. He gives an interesting talk before each session and keeps the public updated on the latest happenings in the cosmos. Enjoy the Clear Sky Chart above and the weather link below. Keep in mind these are only predictions and weather conditions can change rapidly

BTW A 24.5 inch optical telescope is a freakin' big scope.

Loren

6. xjdaver

xjdaver Member

All very cool. I've seen plenty of meteors and satellites here or there up in the non light polluted northwoods. Aurora Borealis floats my boat.

7. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

I'm fortunate to have seen the Northern Lights once in my life. Flying home from the east coast at 30,000+ feet over N Dakota. Amazing sight, no doubt about it.

But the rings of Saturn certainly don't slouch either. Nor do the Crab or Horsehead Nebulae. The colors are absolutely vivid.

I also saw Mars through the big scope once. They had the top aperture of the scope necked down to a pin prick. And the reflected light from Mars just blew the image out. Not much to see really just a bright light.

8. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Bump. I know I'm early but I thought I'd forget by the time August comes around! :)

9. peganit2

peganit2 Member

Grab a couple of blankets, lay down and be patient.

The Perseids can put on quite a show. My young kids at the time never have forgotten that night. 8)