1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Metro Detroit area, looking for, or to host, a carb clinic

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by Cudaguy, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

82 XJ1100J, 14000 miles, performance has gotten worst over the last 2 years. But it has always run acceptably. Then 120 miles back, after a fresh fill up with rec fuel, rode home 2 miles and parked it for a week or so. Next ride, it would not idle, at all, period. It was very finicky throttle work to keep it running I assumed bad gas, poured in some Dri gas and Seafoam. Seemed to run mostly better. Lousy fuel economy though.

Today, after about 30 miles, went back to running like crap and would not idle. Filled up again with rec fuel and drove home with no improvement. My guess now is that the Gremlins of Carb repair maintenance are here for their pound of flesh. Fuel economy was 32 mpg, I normally get around 36 - 38.

Also don't know enough about adjusting the valves on these beasts, so that could possibly be an issue.

Carbs are not my strong suit, so I could use help or could host a carb clinic if others were in a similar situation, naturally that would require a carb guy. is anyone interested in any of this scenarios?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

this link shows how to do valve shims
    Bigfitz's AIRHEAD VALVE ADJUSTMENT with Pics - parts I & II
    valve shims are a first thing to do item

your bike has what is refered to as an octopus for petcock system you may have issues there . vacuum operated so it may need new vacuum lines connecting the parts

octo.PNG

you may also want to clean gascap to make sure vent is not clogged

Your Gas Cap and You

start at top and work your way down to the carbs. fuel cap is the start of the fuel system.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

also remember all the seperat systems work together.

ohm out the ignition system

check the charging voltage (low output can affect spark)

your petcocks have drains in them so you can clean the petcock may be crudder up

you also have a vacuum advance set up that may need attention

4. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

Thanks.
    The spider/octopus was removed by the PO. Ran fine all this time. I rebuilt the petcocks last year because they did not fully shutoff the fuel flow. Again, ran fine all season. I will check the gas cap.
    I tried to start it Saturday, with the enrichment full on, it ran but not very well, it is obvious that it is not fully running on all cylinders at real power.