1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Middle gear oil seal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Deecat, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Deecat

Deecat Member

I have finally got the XJ750 seca project on the road after passing its government test.

I have a few things to fully sort out until I pass it on to my son.

It has developed a oil leak from the middle gear oil seal and I have taken off the swinging arm to gain access,but I have found the nut 18 to be very tight and I do not want to force it ,if it is not supposed to be removed. upload_2020-8-7_12-38-42.png

Does anyone know if I can just remove the nut and pop out the seal and push a new one in place

or is there more stripping involved?

I have a Haynes manual but it just shows the unit complete.

2. Mezzmo

Mezzmo Active Member

Hi Mate,
    Its unlikely you will be able to loosen that nut with it in the engine. Best bet is to remove the 4 flange bolts and pull the gear out of the engine. Then hold in vice and undo the nut and replace the seal. Check my video of what it looks like at around the 12 minute mark...

3. Deecat

Deecat Member

Hi Mezzmo,

Thanks for that and you are right I have unbolted the unit and used a slide hammer that I made a few years ago for stripping the shaft. The amount of stress I had to put on the 19mm nut while I had the part in a vice would be a lot to put on it while it was in the bike.

I have ordered the seal and O-ring from our Yamaha dealer so I will just have to wait for them to turn up,along with some slightly longer rear shocks as the Hagon ones that I had lying around are not up to the job.

Just can not believe that I did not swoop the seal when I had the motor stripped down about 3 years ago.

I have enjoyed watching your videos by the way nice work.

XJ750 almost done .JPG

Franz likes this.
  4. Mezzmo

Mezzmo Active Member

Thanks, your bike looks great. Hoping to finish the painting on mine as soon as the weather warms up a bit..l

5. Deecat

Deecat Member

It's funny but we tend to think that Australia is hot all the time!

We are at 34º c at the moment and dying, prefer working around 10º c

I think the bike came from junk yard situation from Merlin Oregon last used 1997 and it had a lot of dust on it so it might be better used to the hot weather than I am.

Just bought a second hand set of carbs so off to the church of clean again.

6. Deecat

Deecat Member

Scratch the Merlin Oregon, which was on the paper work found under the seat .

I have just gone through the parts removed from the bike and I have a number plate from Fairfield Cal that is dated 2003 so I am not sure if in the US they have to tax there bikes every year as we do in the UK. Indicating when it was last used.
    Just wish that we could legally have such small number plates in the UK instead of the big yellow thing stuck on the back of my bike!

7. Mezzmo

Mezzmo Active Member

LOL, Australia gets cold and really hot. In our summer a 34C day is great, its the 45 or 46C days that aren't fun....