1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

MikesXS.com

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by MrShake, May 19, 2008.

1. MrShake

MrShake Member

Hey guys,

I know quite a few people have purchased from mikesxs.com (I know I have). I wanted to share an experience I had with them recently.

I had heard rumors that the uni non-vacum petcock from their site would work on my xs400j. The price was ok, so I ordered it. Shipping wasn't great, but was more than acceptable.

After receiving the part, I took it out of its plastic baggie and visually compared it to the current setup, noticing right away that the base plate wouldn't fit. So, I put the petcock back in its plastic baggie having never touched my bike or anything other than my hand.

I double checked the website, no mention of this item being non-returnable. There were, however, warnings that these parts are for XS650s only. I emailed them (per instructions) for return authorization. I understood the 20% restocking fee and the time limits.

MikesXS's response to the email was a question of fitment. I responded in truth and the answer was that they were denying the return since I bought it for other than an XS650. In subsequent emails, the representative of the company (never identified) proceeded to, very rudly, explain to me how it costs them money to print, package, and ship items and how they get 10-30 requests a day to return parts.

I think it would be acceptable to not accept the return in the item had, in any way, been used or contaminated. That I could agree to... but an completely unused item should be returnable period.

1. If their shipping Costs are not covering the cost to ship the item, and their margin doesn't cover the rest with a reasonable profit, they they are running their business badly.
    2. They charge a restocking fee to help offset any other costs.
    3, They choose to be in the buisness of online retail, they need to deal with what that means.

Thats my 2 cents.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

"All warranties void for parts used Offroad or for Racing use or if parts are installed on any bike except XS/TX650 models listed with each part. Parts fit only applications listed with each item."

Help me out here, what part of "Parts fit only applications listed with each item" did I misunderstand?

They also further warn against this practice with "Do Not order parts for makes/models not listed with the part." in the returns section.

It sounds to me like a phone call would have been a wise thing to do. I do understand your efforts to use care when comparing but the underlying issue is THEY ARE NOT AT FAULT and you ought not to bother them with your error, especially when you knew it in the first place. I'm almost certain their irritation with being bothered by folks doing EXACTLY what they warn them not to do is well founded.

Need to deal with what that means, INDEED Sir!
    They are have been very helpful to several folks here by answering questions to help guide a good purchase or fit, and on a few occations, pointing out it wasn't going to work.

3. MrShake

MrShake Member

I'm not balking on a warranty. We all know that parts fit across different bikes. I had been given information that it would work.. and from what I've been able to acertain, it will for a non-Maxim xs400. Thats the problem.

The real crux of the problem is two-fold.

1. I got an attitude from the outset via email
    2. This part is completely un-used. It was never fit to the tank, never touched fuel or oil or grease or dirt. Its ready to resell. I didn't argue with any restocking fees or shipping costs. I just wanted to send the thing back. Its not a warranty issue and its not a used product.

I'm not saying MixesXS is a bad place. Far from it. For XS650 owners and others (many of whom buy for bikes other than 650s) this is a great resource. I relayed my experiance, period. Others can learn from the experiance. I would also sugest (and have to them) that if the policy is no returns on items purchased for bikes other than an XS650, they their policy needs to state that specifically.

Statements such as "Parts fit only applications listed with each item." or "Do Not order parts for makes/models not listed with the part." in a return section do not a policy make. We all know parts fit more than their listed applications.

Regardless... this was my experiance, I'm dealing with it. I'll make back what want off ebay or elseware, I've ordered a different petcock and everything is kosher. But I do know that folks order off of mikesxs from here for bikes other than the XS650 and may run into similar resistance.

4. spinalator

spinalator Member

Sorry, I also have to side with the retailer on this one. I have used Mike's and was happy with the service and quick shipping. I do have to agree, the onus was on you, not them, to do better research, not that I want to sound mean or anything. I think they are worried about people buying things like this, gutting them and taking out the rubber bits, and reassembling them. Then you have to pay staff to inpect all returns before restocking, etc etc. It is also really hard to return electrical parts.

I can sympathize and have been stung by buying the wrong thing for the wrong bike, and ended up red-faced, and selling the parts on EBay. IIRC, one part sold for more than I paid for it, the other went for less. I would suggest you do the same and just not use Mike's again if you feel they were too snotty to you. Or post them FS on an XS site. Good luck man and sorry about your luck.

5. MrShake

MrShake Member

I guess theres no real point in arging, and its not a dissagree/agree question. My experiance is what it was.

However, the idea that they have to pay someone to inspect items, while probably valid, is the reason they have a restocking fee. This would have cost them nothing to take back and resell. Final point.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

I can appreciate your intent to express your experience MrShake, no issue there.
    I will respectfully disagree that they have failed to offer fair warning. Quote "I would also sugest (and have to them) that if the policy is no returns on items purchased for bikes other than an XS650, they their policy needs to state that specifically" Please refer to my first post highlighted in red.
    I will also disagree with your statement
    "Statements such as "Parts fit only applications listed with each item." or "Do Not order parts for makes/models not listed with the part." in a return section do not a policy make.
    I will beg to differ. It IS their policy. Clear as day.
    I'm getting my dander up on this one.
    I will quote Abraham Lincoln," You can please some of the people some of the time..."
    As Spin has mentioned, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Make lemonade from lemons and hock that petcock on the venue of your choice. I am sorry that you recieved bum gouge. And in that spirit, I appreciate your efforts to dispell the myth concerning the application.
    I will close in saying that I never bought into the whole "the customer is always right." We are human, we can and do make mistakes. That is immutable.

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

I would like to acknowledge MrShakes efforts to pass along his experience. That is exactly why this forum is here. I, upon reflection, feel that I owe him an apology in addition to my gratitude for bringing his hard-won knowledge to our attention. I do not wish to distract from this effort. I realized shortly after posting that my efforts were not encouraging the free expression that we all support. To those ends, I apologize for seeming to grind an opinion into the dirt. Thank you.

8. MrShake

MrShake Member

I am often amazed that this site continues to be a friendly place, even in disagreement!!! Bravo xjbikes!

9. spinalator

spinalator Member

I disagree with that statement.

(j/k) :D