1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Milwaukee/Wisconsin area XJ's

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by IkeO, Oct 14, 2007.

1. IkeO

IkeO Member

Sup everyone. My names Ike. Own a '81 XJ750 Seca and live in Milwaukee. Just saying hello and seeing if theres any other xj owners in my area (or even just wisconsin, maybe chicago). it'd be great to go riding or do some projects on our bikes or whatever. though right now there isnt much time left. but i think ill be busy working on my bike in the off season.

2. schmidtap

schmidtap Member

If I ever get the wife to agree to bring mine back home (Sheboygan), we'll have to get out and ride, unfortunatly, if I get deployed again, the XJ is getting traded for a touring bike

3. olinrj

olinrj Member

Hey there,
    Glad to hear from a few others in the area. I've been in and out of the forum lately but am back for the near future. I'm right on the north side of Milwaukee. I'm definitely going to continue with the bike projects during the off season, so if you're in need of a second set of hands, let me know. I have a few things to finish on the home front before I can dive into the bike, but I should get into it by the end of January. Feel free to drop me a line if either of you need a hand, or a parts hauler.

Take it Light,
    Bob

4. IkeO

IkeO Member

very cool man. ill definatly keep ya posted on things that are happening here. come spring we'll have to go riding or something. my bike is stored for the winter so (crosses fingers) just hoping that it fires right up come spring. if not. well then i guess i got more projects.

thats sweet you got that SOHC 750. those are great. we have one that needs work in this garage i work at.

happy new year

5. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

hey all,

I bought my first bike (81 xj550 seca) in may and rode pretty much every day until the weather changed. The only days i wasn't on it were when i had it in the shop to have the carbs gone over, and the last few weeks before the snow, when i lost the dang key.

There's a lot i want to do on the bike, but i'm gonna be taking it slow. First things first: get a new key and get the dang thing storage ready.

BTW: I'm in Glendale, just north of Milwaukee. I grew up in riverwest and still think of it as home.

6. IkeO

IkeO Member

very cool man. i live in riverwest! glad to see you on here. come spring we'll definatly have to go riding and do some work on the bikes. i bought my xj750 in september 07 and spent ten till the first snow learning about bikes and finding all the awsome spots around here. i been really wanting to hook up with other UJM's and especially XJ's just becuase alot of the flashy bike guys dont like to ride with dudes who didnt spend 10k on their bike.

right now my bike is winterized just waiting to be awoken. soon as it warms gonna clean the carbs. do my first sync (hoping to get colortune soon) and hit the road. Did you take your bike to The Shop in bayview? or somewhere else. how much did they charge ya for the carb work?

hopefully we get some more milwaukee/wisconsin people. its cool to know whos out there.

btw welcome to the boards as well. you could learn anything you need to know about your bike here.

7. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

Thanks, man.. this seems like a really great spot (this site).

So far I haven't ridden with anyone at all, just solo rides around town and back and forth to work.

I hear you re: not dumping 10k down my bike, especially if all i get out of it is a shiny bike. I wanna know what's going on when i twist the throttle back! I bought the bike (mostly) running for about $1000 and i paid the guys at The Shop about $400 to rebuild the carbs (it died completely just as i rolled into their lot... actually coasted the last 20 ft., and I didn't want to wait to get back on it). Add in the cost of a helmet, gloves, MSF Course, and Service Manual and I'm still under 2k.

Like i said, I ended up going to The Shop. I called a few places and none of them wanted to work on the older bikes. The guys at The Shop seemed sort of excited about it. Unfortunately I brought it in the week of Rockerbox and told them there was no rush... it took them a bit longer than expected to finish the work. To their credit, they let me know what was going on and why it was taking longer.

Have you ever gone to Two Wheel Tuesdays at Lulu? I didn't know about it until after the weather changed, but it looks like a good crowd.

Anyway, Thanks for the Welcome!

8. schmidtap

schmidtap Member

Hey guys, just a word of advice, up in Sheboygan, there's a shop called rerun, they work on the old jap bikes..... STAY AWAY FROM THEM..... I heard from the yamaha hog dealer and a few other small shops they do more damage than good. I took my forks in to Advance Landspeed in Plymouth (HWY 57&PP). Now that I know of a few people in the area, I wish I wasn't stationed in GA, at least I'd have afew people work on these things with. Good Luck and Welcome to the site, there is a alot of exellent Info on here.

9. IkeO

IkeO Member

very cool man! yeah definatly the guys at the shop are great. ive known Tim (the owner for a while now) hes a good guy. they specialize in bikes like ours. never been to two wheel tuesdays but ive heard of it and see it all the time. we'll have to go come spring. 400 sounds about right for carbs at the shop. but if there giving you trouble come spring we can do it ourselves. save ourselves some money.

10. olinrj

olinrj Member

Glad to hear there are a few more XJ'ers from around town. Also good to know there is a shop that is willing to help us keep our bikes running. I am going to try to do a full re-hab on my bike this winter and spring (fork seals, springs, carbs[the whole nine yards] and a few mods). If anyone wants to hang out while wrenching and tossing back a few, the more the merrier. I have to finish my motorcycle work platform, but should start diving in in the next month. I also have a dry garage with heat if anyone wants to start prepping before the weather gets better for riding, although the past few days feel like mid april rather than january.

Take it light,
    Bob

11. IkeO

IkeO Member

aint that the truth. i actually went to jiujitsu today with shorts and t-shirt on. 60 degrees!!! in the middle of january! feels like im back in texas again. too funny!

im totally down whenever you wanna get some projects done. just shoot me a pm when you got your next one lined up. im seriouslly going motorcycle stir crazy here. (dont own a garage) i need to work on something.

what part of town you live in bob?

btw Andrew thanks for the heads up. always good to know who isnt worth going to.

ike

12. olinrj

olinrj Member

I'm on the northwest side, near Mount Mary college. I'm also getting a bit itchy to ride and wrench, but the house has plenty of projects that are better suited for winter, rather than riding weather. So, it'll be a few weeks before I can get in the garage for some quality time. I'll let you know when things open up.

Take it light.

13. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

Man, I know the feeling! I keep 3 lists:
    Things I want to do
    Things I should do
    Things I need to do

It's always hard to check off the stuff on the last two, but occasionally the first two overlap and trump mean ol' number 3!

BTW: Are you the Sherman Perk guy?

14. olinrj

olinrj Member

Good call on the three lists. It will probably make things a bit easier to explain to the missus.

No, the sherman perk guy is my dad. He used to be into cycles back in college and shortly after, but let go of them over time. Really pissed me off when I found out, he had two mint BMW full dressers at one point. would have made a great first bike.

Well, back to work.
    Take it light.

15. GrimmRider

GrimmRider New Member

Wow, at first I thought I was one of the only Wisconsin residents here! Great to see others here too!

I hear you about not spending 10k+ on a bike, including my 1200S I havn't spent more than 3k on both my Maxim and my Bandit. The Maxim eats harleys all day long in looks and the Bandit will take almost ANY out of the box liter bike and bend its world, down a strait line. I know its not faster but my god man! It keeps up!

I'm north of madison, ever been around the lake wisconsin area? Harmoney Grove has been home for 19 years. My favorite time on a bike is carving through the curves of the wisconsin hills, and the maxim, despite how it looks, is one of the most planted bikes for corner carving.

My maxim, with an average rider (my brother), walked away from a R1 in the twistys. The maxim is exellent in road feel and feedback, and its predictable.

When the weather clears up a little in our neck of the woods (wisconsin) and you want a competent, clear minded riding buddie to match YOUR pace instead of the whole "try to keep up" shit, give me a PM and I can take you through some of the most breath taking scenery central wisconsin has to offer at reasonable speeds. 9 out of 10 times I have a spare bike that someone can use if they are without a bike or find themselfs itching to go out with the boys and just need to ride.

I'm in the middle of trying to find a house and I hope that its all worked out by the riding season! Its good to know their are more people from wisconsin on here.

If I am around the milwaukee area next riding season I will be sure to PM someone and see if a ride can be arranged!

Happy riding!

16. flash1259

flash1259 Member

Central Wisconsin here.

Still working on my bike ( xs400j) before I can ride.

17. jeepsteve92xj

jeepsteve92xj Member

Brookfield - Right next to Milwaukee. 550 maxim, in process.

18. crewwolfy

crewwolfy Member

Chicago here. This is my first bike, picked it up last summer. Rode it until it got too cold. She's a little hesitant to wake up this year, but I'll be back at it once she's cleaned and synced.

19. Yamahamama

Yamahamama Member

I'm in the Madison area too and would love to meet some people who are in the area. This is essentially my first bike but I plan to keep it a long time.

20. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

Stallis (West Allis) here. Working on an '82 XJ650, should be on the road in less than a month (God willing...).

Carl