1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mirrors

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Apr 27, 2014.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I just bought an 82 XJ650 Maxim and I'm missing the right mirror. I have a couple of questions. First, what are the stock mirrors supposed to look like on this bike? The left one on mine is black and rectangular but I see all sorts in pictures of this year model bike online. Second, is the mirror thread size (hole diameter) on the right different than the left? Mine is so either it's supposed to be different or somebody drilled it out and tapped new threads. The right mirror threads are bigger in diameter than my left mirror threads. I want to have both mirrors but not sure what to get with the one on the right having a bigger mounting hole than the one on the left.

Thanks,
    Stacy

2. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

This is what the stock mirror looked like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-YAMAHA-XJ6 ... bc&vxp=mtr

The right side mirror on Yammies are reverse threaded so in the event of a crash the mirror gives instead of breaking off. The threads are slightly larger to prevent someone from Gomer-ing the threads by trying to put the left mirror on the wrong side.

So remember:
    left side = righty tighty, lefty loosey
    right side = lefty tighty, righty loosey

As for what to get, just make sure they are for an 80's Yamaha and they should fit properly.

3. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Cool....thanks for the info and pic.