1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Motorcycle Mechanic magazine

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Jetfixer, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

'Good judgement comes from experience, and experience-well that comes from poor judgement' Anon.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the two strokes l read somewhere they used riffer files to alter the ports. Never tried that myself but it was interesting. I assume the RD race spec motor gave more power high up the rev range with a narrow power band.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

More power everywhere because of the powervalve. Horrible fuel economy though.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the powervalve model I was thinking of the fixed port machines. Classic Motorcycle Mechanics I will have a look at their website.

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

What is so great about these old magazines , so many 2 stroke road tests and reading owner stories. RD 250,350,400 , Suzuki , and of course the impressive Kawasaki 2 stroke powerful engines ,wimpy frames , poor tires . Even in the day handling was poor on most bikes , can you imagine a modern up to date bike with a 2 stroke , so powerful and light . Of course I would still love still love to own an RD 400 Daytona :D

k-moe likes this.
  6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The two strokes were great. I remember all of the machines in the showroom. The Kawasaki 750 l never had the chance to try. I liked the GT750 Suzuki too. Great reading about those machines. Some frames were not up to the engine's power but l wonder how they would handled with better quality tyres. I used Dunlop TT 100 tyres back then. They were good.

7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I just added a 2-smoker to the stable on Friday. 2004 KDX220R for my 15 yo. He just grew another 6" so he's stepping up to a full size trail bike from a DRZ125.
    Shameful what an old clapped out dirt bike still goes for. There is a long list of niggling issues that we've already got a good start on. It already looks way better.
    He and I spent all weekend on his restoration. I told him the more you wrench on it the more it becomes your bike. Now he can't wait to get back out to the garage.
    The thumpers are way more maintenance intensive, I was focused on a Honda CRF250X because they're essentially unchanged from 2003 to present but top & bottom rebuilds are called for every 250 hours.
    Plus battery and valve adjustments.

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Can you post some pictures Simmy as you restore it?

9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I missed the shot of when I offloaded it. The seller didn't even wash it.
    I can post a few pics, but I'm mindful that many on here have little interest in off-road bikes.

I laugh when I see green anodized levers and foot pegs from China when the owner has neglected all sorts of things.

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

True my nephew has a KTM 250 he hammers it and needs to rebuild the engine. Just a picture or two you can put it in the other motorcycle section if you like.

11. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 KTM EXC525 I think I've put a total of 120 hours on it from new.
    Mostly just trail ridden but I did a couple road race track days with it in supermotard trim.
    I remember passing a sport bike on the outside of turn 2 at Shannonville and the prick pushed me off the outside.
    I'm now on the grass at 100 mph staring at the freaking ambulance parked at the end of the straight.
    I got slowed and back on the track, not sure if it would have been the case on a heavier street bike.
    What could be more ironic than going for a ride in the ambulance after hitting it.
    I've never experienced a more thrilling ride than that monster hit of that thumper.
    I have a friend with the same bike, he bored and stroked it, now over 600 cc's.
    Its strictly a road bike now, there's way too much power off road now.

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes that's the problem if someone does something stupid. That 600cc will be a beast. My nephew is after a 900 Diversion plenty for sale here and he has read the write up on them in Motorcycle News.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Has anyone read Cycle World the one Kevin Cameron does the technical stuff in?

14. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I had a couple of Kawasaki 500's. Sluggish off the line, fantastic power band, horrible death wobble around 100 MPH.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yes, since before Mr. Cameron became the technical writer.
    In fact there were several years where he was the only reason I subscribed to the magazine.

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I like his videos on YouTube, short and informative.

17. Jetfixer

Omg the ads from this magazine blows me away . To see ads for the " new" Honda CB 650 with the enclosed front brake, ads that showed horsepower rating . Another for the CX 500 , or FT500 ( Ascot in US) , 550 Vision ,and of course our favorite XJ 550,650,750,900 . Glad I bought these magazines , can't stop reading these .

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Never tried the CX500 or the FT, think it was a single. The Honda CBX 550 had an enclosed front brake.

19. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Two-strokes will be the theme for the 2021 motorcycle show put on by Minnesota's Old Japanese Motorcycle Club. If you're around next June, you should stop by and check it out.

Jetfixer likes this.
  20. Jetfixer

I used to live in Egan worked 18 years for NWA still miss Red Tails :(. Might go . Been reading in these magazines now I want a LC 250,350 , the best review was for the 81 Yamaha XJ550 got rave reviews only squak was the fuel gauge should be traded for a clock ...why I have a wrist watch . Still love ads for new bikes would love to see these today with modern bikes . So humourous to see vendor adds to mail inquiries on products for catalogs , definitely OLD SCHOOL ...wait I was 14 then :D:eek: