1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My 1983 XJ650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 514rabbit, May 23, 2013.

1. 514rabbit

514rabbit Member

Since I got my bike license in 2009 I always bought old V-twins, mostly Viragos (1985-1986). However, last year I picked up an 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim for $500 - a bike I haven't heard of before that. At first I thought I would beat it for the summer and get rid of it, the 4-in-line YICS felt really unfamiliar since I was used to V-twins where all the power dies after 4k RPM... However, after passing the whole summer with it - I fell in love... I have finally decided I would keep the XJ for years to come and started fixing up a few things...

Here is the bike 1 day after I got it (it also had a big windshield and a huge luggage box on the back, I took both items off right away):

[​IMG]

Sourced different handlebars for free, got rid of the front fender - it gave the bike a better look:

[​IMG]

And eventually I plastidipped it flat black:

[​IMG]

... and that was all I did last summer. I still didn't plan on keeping the bike. So winter came, bike went to storage, and a few weeks ago I ordered a few things and started getting a bit more serious about it. The bike is 30 years old after all.

Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs:
    [​IMG]

Once I put the carbs back together I decided I wanted to change the exhaust - which also forces me to re-jet:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and since I was already re-jetting, I decided to get rid of the huge stock air box and went with individual pod filters:

[​IMG]

By the way, I posted a thread about using POD FILTERS on these bikes.

While working with "fuel" related items I remembered the fuel petcock was leaking when on "PRIME" so I ordered a rebuilt kit and did what I had to do:

[​IMG]

I want to change the seat on the bike for something more"bobber" so I got a solo seat from a Russian "ИЖ" motorcycle. The seat was made in 1949!!! Now I just have to figure out how to install it...

[​IMG]

Installed the 4-into-1 MAC instead of the original 4-into-2 flutes :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After re-jetting, filters and exhaust I finally synchronized the carbs!
    it took 1h30 of my time
    [​IMG]

productive day :)

I found a rear wheel on ebay (to convert it to a front wheel) listed at 20$ and I got it for 5$ (or best offer)
    Unfortunately the seller made a mistake and the wheel doesn't seem to come off a 1983 Maxim, as the drum is larger than in my bike.
    I have found someone who's willing to change the wheel for the good one with me, in Montreal - so the wheel conversion will probably be done some time next week :)

However, I took the rear wheel off my bike to check the state of the brakes:

[​IMG]

as it appears, it needed cleaning. The lining is fine, the drum is fine as well, however the pin that pushed the brake shoes was getting stuck (that's why my pedal wouldn't come back sometimes.
    So I cleaned everything and re-greased with high temp grease for some parts and regular lithium grease for others. The brakes will be good for at least 2 seasons.

[​IMG]

Since the wheel was off, I decided to clean the protective "blue soap" from the new tire and install it. I started by washing it with a cloth and brake cleaner, when I realize it will me take me an hour to do so I went a different route.
    Tip: Water + S.O.S. pad = does wonders! Took me a minute to remove all the blue crap.

[​IMG]

And the final result - Yes, I know I need to wash the tire :D

[​IMG]

Your comments are appreciated!

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Your rear brake linings are actually a tad thin based on the pic.

3. 514rabbit

514rabbit Member

I measured everything as per a service manual - and I still have almost 2mm till the service limit so I think it'll be fine for now :)

4. tstroud

tstroud New Member

Man take a video of that 4-1 and post the link here! I for one hope to be putting on the exact same exhaust system on my bike and I haven't been able to find an exact video of the mod anywhere. Do you plan on taking the baffles out? Clean looking ride you have there by the way.

5. 514rabbit

514rabbit Member

Hey, man!
    When the exhaust is installed properly, you don't really hear a difference at low RPMs, after 3-4k it starts sounding very nicely :) I will try to make a video.

6. 514rabbit

514rabbit Member

Only took 6 hours :(

[​IMG]

7. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

Looks great, i love that red. How do you like the red with those low bars on it?

8. 514rabbit

514rabbit Member

I love the ride with low bars but it takes getting used to.
    Personally I really didn't like the red - it looks okay on pictures but in real life it's all faded and discolored, so I plastidipped it flat black for now, until I have the time to properly paint it (another color):

[​IMG]

9. pikoloko

pikoloko New Member

nice bike!!!

10. josephkief311

josephkief311 New Member

Yes I had to remove my seat to change some wires for lights, and now I cannot get my seat to latch on the left side. it will lock on the right side of it when I turn the key but when I go to see if left side is tight and secure it comes right back off. Can someone walk me through this process to make sure I get it on there right. thank you!