1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My '82 XJ750 "Project Shadow Warrior"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by skylrk62, Jan 27, 2012.

1. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I have had this bike for 6 years and it hasn't started for the last 2 years. I was so over this bike, that I was just going to put in some alley and leave it. Then, I thought, why not try and trick this thing out. I strip it down and got rid of the ugly seat and extra trim. No offense to those who appreciate those features. I started to get some vision of what this could be! I'm now leaning towards a fat front tire, r1 inverted forks w/controls, leveling the rear end. I'm upgrading the carbs with individual filters and scrapping the air box. I saw the cafe xv750 and loved the look. I'm not really into cafe racers with the skinny tires. A purely ascetic preference for me. If you guys have any comments or suggestions, I'd appreciate it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Here is a look that I'm going for. Obviously I won't be able to do a mono-shock in the back, but I think I can get close to this. I wonder if the Virago fork mount is the same as the maxim? I believe this is a r1 fork on this bike?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

3. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

4. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I just looked at the article and saw his other bike. 1980 Yamaha XS850 Special, Wow! Real close!

[​IMG]

I also saw some others he did, similar ideas!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I saw these on ebay. What type of mods would have to be done to fit on a Maxim?

r6 froks

[​IMG]

or zx-6? I think these look better?

[​IMG]

6. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

So I did some digging and if anyone wants to put a modern inverted fork on their bike, this is the place. You provide the parts and they do the machining service. Around 3 week process for $485 + parts.

Classified Moto triple tree swap

7. boostenlebaron

boostenlebaron Member

I really like the gold accents you have on the bike now. What paint did you end up using? The rims must have been a nightmare.

8. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Anyone have any luck with these shocks on the rear of their bike? They are for dirt bikes not sure of the stiffness in these? I saw it on one bike online here.
    Air shock absorbers - ebay

[​IMG]

9. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Actually, the rims were not that hard. It took a little time with prepping, about a couple hrs. I used VHT Engine Enamel #SP132 Universal Gold followed with VHT High temp ceramic clear coat #SP115 Satin Clear. I was really happy with the results! It's a very good product. O'reilly's carries it I think? Thanks for the complement!

VHT Paint Website

10. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I was checking out classified motto's Facebook page and saw this. It a '82 1100? Looks real similar to the xj. Check out there page!

Classified Motto Facebook page

[​IMG]

11. Samson

Samson Member

How hard would it be for you to fit a rear wheel from a seca? An 18" rear wheel would make it look more proportional

12. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

True, if you were going to keep the front. I'm planing on swapping the entire fork setup with either a r6/r1 or a zx-6 setup. I've seen on here of guys doing that and from what I see, it doesn't look hard. Search rear wheel swaps. There is also a tread on here for rear 16" to front which is interesting as well!

rear wheel to front conversion

[​IMG]

13. boostenlebaron

boostenlebaron Member

I just got a set myself but havent put them on yet, maybe next week but its so cold i wont be able to ride. I actually went with the 11" to drop my back down abit. From all the forums and my friends putting them on blasters and crap is that they are pretty good. Even better if you can service them yourself since the oil level is usually not right. Spring seems to be good for and 400lbs bike as well. The only really bad thing ive heard about them over and over is the clevis mount can/will break but we dont have to worry about that.
    They look like the cats meow and seem to be nicely built. For sure its chinese but its better than the stockers so im told. Thats also why i was asking about the gold paint.

14. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Good to hear! I was wondering if these were being used. These look like a identical match to the paint I used. You can't beat the price on these things, less than $100 for a pair and they look sweet! From what you say, I feel better about these now. Just wondering how much they condense when you sit on it? Thanks!

15. boostenlebaron

boostenlebaron Member

I just tossed those shocks on my bike today and took it for a ride. They are pretty nice. You dont even need the spacers they give you for our bike. In the stock form they bottom out fairly easily. I weigh 220lbs and a bounce would do it. Ive adjusted them to about 10 threads showing on the collar and they havent hit yet. Ive even slammed a few speed bumps and its fine. They look pimp and adjust easily buy hand.
    I did end up going with the 11" ones to drop my bike and they did. Took me about 10min to install.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

those look pretty sweet, nice job! I'm definitely close to pulling the trigger on those. I did come across these as well. They are KYB Kawasaki ZRX1200 ZRX Shocks. They are going on ebay for around 200-400.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. boostenlebaron

boostenlebaron Member

Alot of people like those kyb's. I didnt want to over do it in the handling department because i know this bike will never handle well. If i got greedy and dumped a bunch of money into the suspension id end up pushing it to far. These frames have so much flex as is it scary. If i started correcting one thing id just have to keep going. I decided to go for what looks the best with out braking the bank.

18. Big_P

Big_P Member

I can't seem to find the 11" inch ones... anyone want to put the link up to those?

19. boostenlebaron

boostenlebaron Member

20. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Nice job so far!!

I sent you a couple pm's - if you could check them out I would greatly appreciate it!

Keep up the great work!