1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My XJ650 seca scrambler project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Cyfer, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Cyfer

Cyfer Member

So this is where it stands now.. There are still plenty of upgrades left to do such as stainless steel brake lines, progressive suspension in the front and rear, possibly chopping the seat, etc.. I'm loving the work so I'll gradually keep working at it. Here are a few pictures of the project.. I should of taken more progress pics, sorry!
    [​IMG]

Here is the bike when I got it in July 2015. xj650 RJC already heavily modified by the PO. I didn't know anything about motorcycles, nor did I have my licence. I've worked on cars for years so I figured I'd learn how to ride and maintain/modify as I went along.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First thing I did was go to church and clean the carbs thoroughly. They were in pretty good shape to start. I also checked the valve clearance and made adjustments.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then painted the tank with automotive paint.. I believe this is a suzuki green. Create a make shift paint booth in the corner of my garage. Then spent hours wet sanding/buffing.
    [​IMG]

I then fixed a bunch of the electrical stuff such as signals, brakes lights, etc.. that were hacked up/broken. Also replaced the handles and broken choke cable.
    [​IMG]

Winter almost over I did new front/rear brakes. I took the opportunity to put new tires while the rims were taken off. I went with Heidenau k60 scouts. I also removed the front fork and painted the shocks black while everything was disassembled. Jerry-rigged stand.. it worked out alright although I had a few scares working by myself in the garage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I first fabricated the side covers with cardboard to get the right fitment.
    [​IMG]
    I then used that to cut out a piece of acrylic I had laying around. After I worked out that the acrylic would be sturdy enough and would fit the holes I scanned both covers and traced them out in AutoCAD then laser cut out of 1/4" black acrylic.

[​IMG]

Bought a gauge from Dim City Cycles in order to have all my dash lights. This picture just shows the test wiring with tape to make sure everything worked. I then soldered and hear shrunk the whole thing. It turned out super clean.
    [​IMG]

I recently cut up the fender leaving the structural area fully intact. Then primed/painted it and reinstalled it on the bike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I finally got around to taking the 4-1 exhaust off and wrapping it with fibre glass wrap. Then reinstalled it by myself (pita! ><) Here is how she stands today!
    [​IMG]
    Side view:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!

AxeMatt likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Thank you for not cutting the frame. That was a one-year-only bike in North America.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Rowan Mickan

Rowan Mickan New Member

Hi mate digging up this thread just interested in what size tyres you went with ? Cheers mate!