1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My XJ750K is no longer Pure Yamaha

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ksigurdsen, Sep 15, 2020.

1. ksigurdsen

ksigurdsen Member

After 37 years, my original brake master cylinder was pitted too badly inside the bore for another rebuild. I have a neighbor who has a nice stash of old Japanese motorcycle parts so I paid him a visit hoping he would have one. There was no luck finding a better Yamaha one but he did have a prospective candidate from a 1985 Honda GL1200 (Goldwing). It had identical handle bar diameter, identical hose fitting size / location, same wire colors for the brake light switch, it was very clean and the price was reasonable (a case of my neighbor’s favorite beer that we shared). With a good quality rebuild kit and new sight glass window (totaling about $40), the brakes work better than ever. This is the only non-Yamaha part I have ever installed so I broke my own rule.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

My 900f has a Honda Pan European front master cylinder brakes are great.

ksigurdsen likes this.
  3. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

As far as I know, all made by Nissin, so good stuff.
    I'd rather buy a used Nissin from another bike and rebuild it, than trust my life to the cheap crap on ebay.
    Which is why all my bikes wear Deauville master cylinders, with the exception of the XJ - and when that needs a rebuild I'll fit a Deauville m/c to that.
    Ironically, the GS was wearing a NOS XJ9 m/c for twenty years, because it was simply so much better than the original.

ksigurdsen and Franz like this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'll admit...most of my accessories (including the trailer) aren't Yamaha either.
    It's OK to swap in parts to keep the machine working, so long as they aren't from Suzuki.

ksigurdsen likes this.