1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mystery Bike

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Amber Quinn, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Amber Quinn

Amber Quinn New Member

The other day I was given the opportunity to buy what I was told was a 1980 SR500. Its in pieces and the sticker is almost completely worm off. The numbers are still on the frame but I haven't been able to find anything on it anywhere. Hoping you guys can give a bit more insight on what I've gotten myself into. The numbers are 2J2-000393. All I've gotten so far is its a 78-81 SR500 based on the 2J2 but it could be an F or an H and this 9 digit vin is driving me bonkers. 1st time bike owner/builder with no clue what I should expet.

Attached Files:

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

If the 2j2 model ID code was used for all 4 years, then the 6-digit "serial number' range would be incremented each year (to prevent duplicate or almost-duplicate full VIN's). Give that the serial number is 000393, I would think that it's a 1978 model, as the lowest s/n range occurs in the first year (i.e. 000000 -thru 0010000, or, more likely, since Yamaha typically (but not always!) starts their s/n range for the 1st year of production at bike # 000100, the bike #000393 is the 293rd one built in the 1978 model year).