1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need advice on redoing gas lines on a XJ1100

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 3BadBirds, Jul 29, 2020.

1. 3BadBirds

3BadBirds Member

I somewhat recently picked up a XJ1100. The PO apparently used some clear fuel line that has now distorted - I can even see some springs that were put in the line to prevent creasing. The lines are also sticking out from under the tank so I don't think they are routed correctly. Before I pull the tank I'm trying to get all the parts I need to redo the lines and filters to minimize downtime. Will standard 1/4" black gas line work? Does anyone have a guesstamate on how many feet I would need to redo all the gas lines? Thx for all the help!

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Standard auto parts store fuel line will not work well. It is too big to fit around the carbs and it does not take tight bends either. I'm not saying it wont work but it is not a choice.
    I like motion pro 1/4 fuel line, its a little expensive but bends easily around all the carbs and lasts a long time. You will need around 6 feet to put it back like it is suppose to be. There is a fuel tubing diagram under the seat to show the routing.

chacal likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The 1100 is a spider web of fuel line, at least on a friends there were 2 petcocks one on both sides of tank , each carb had a vacuum line that went to each petcock. You will need at least to be safe 2 feet of of fuel line, 3 feet of vacuum line . I get mine at NAPA . If I was you I would get rid of clear tubing asap and look for a stencil on the fuel line being fuel compatible.

4. 3BadBirds

3BadBirds Member

I assumed there must be something going on with the lines - the PO told me the fuel gauge worked but that he just forgot to hook it up when he put the tank back on. I figured if it was that easy he would have just pulled the tank again and fixed it. I'm thinking the vacuum lines are okay but am not comfortable with the clear tubing thats on it now. It is sticking out from under the tank and seems to distort pretty easily. At some points he put springs in the line to keep them from pinching / collapsing. I figured that also was not a good sign. I haven't been able to find any actual pictures of the lines but can probably find a copy of the routing diagram that use to be under the seat.

Thanks for the help!

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

3BadBirds likes this.
  6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You have a choice to make when it comes to the stock setup, you can keep it or lose it. If you keep it you will have to make sure it is all cleaned, fresh and working the way it should be. There is very little space under the tank to run those fuel lines and trying to change things up is not fun. So, if it currently works the way it should and you are happy with, replace the lines with the same length Motion pro fuel line. That fuel line is really good for this application.

The second option is lose it. I plugged the main On petcock pipe and just used the Res out nipple, ran a fuel line between the two petcocks and added a "T" connector to drop down to each bank of carbs. You will give up your Res fuel but I just used the odometer trip for my mileage and fuel refill times. You could do a better setup and add a "Y" connector to join the On and Res but there is not much room to play around under that tank. Adding the "Y" would let you keep a Res fuel supply if you think you need it.

Up to you if you want to stay with the OEM or mod it. Good luck either way.