1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

need manual and auto cam chain adjuster pics

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by assassinx1, Apr 23, 2010.

1. assassinx1

assassinx1 Member

hey guys i need a pic for my 1982 xj 650 ... i need a pic of the manual and automatic timing/ cam chain adjusters..... need a visual so when i do my oil change i can adjust the chain... i want to know exactly how to do it before i mess with it... i read how to do it a hundred times... need a visual to understand it better... thanks guys

2. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Hi,
    Below are 3 pics of an auto-tensioner from my parts bike motor (XJ750P 84).
    The bolt on the end holds the spring tension against the tensioner shaft which keeps the shaft pressing against the rear chain guide. The little latch retains the shaft in the furthest out position as the chain gets stretched.
    Hope it helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. assassinx1

assassinx1 Member

closser than i was.. but i need to be more specific... need a pic of where it is when its installed... and where the manual one is as well... i dont know what one i have yet.. its an 82 ive read that 82's have either or..... is it located under the valve cover or in the front of the engine by the cover plate at the bottom on the right.... thanks

4. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Alrighty, I only have the auto-tensioner, but try these.
    From the rear of the dismantled motor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From under the carbies of the working bike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

And at no extra cost.... some good shots of th yics ports in th block in th second set of photos.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

"manual" cam chain tensioner, dissected:

[​IMG]

On your bike it will be mounted on the back of the cylinder block, as in Bushy's photos.

You tell the difference between the automatic one (as pictured by Bushy) or the manual one (as above) by the presence or lack of the adjuster locking screw on the side of the unit. It is shown at the top right in my pic (ignore the arrow, that was about something else.)

When you look in from the right side of the bike, you would see the locking bolt/nut. If you don't see one, it's the automatic style.

7. assassinx1

assassinx1 Member

you guys rock... very help full info thanks

8. kornele

kornele New Member

hey guys thanks for this forum you do all rock indeed. however I was wondering if anybody had an pic of the auto-tensioner dis-assembled

proud new owner of an 83 750, maxim and of course it sounds like the world is coming to an end at 5000 rpm otherwise she is a beast. using an Automotive Stethoscope (or a long bladed screw driver) with the bike at 5000 rpm you easily hear it is coming from the chain. and I am keeping my finger crossed and hoping that just cleaning the adjuster will fix her. I do not want to take the heads off as this is my sole means of transpo right now