1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need your advice regarding carb intake manifolds xj650 seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DimaV, Jan 3, 2019.

1. DimaV

DimaV Member

Attached Files:

2. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

the ones attached to the cylinder head in the second link ,have been repaired with bicycle innertube.
    although I suspect the seller has pinched the photo to advertise, the other photos, they look new
    sorry can't advise on which ones you need
    stu

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Hard to say, both those links have conflicting pictures and compatibility listings. It could be either.

My advice would be to buy them from @chacal xj4ever, then you know you are getting the right stuff. I bought aftermarket ones (that were a lot more than those eBay ones) and they didn't last. Here is my link on what happened:

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/first-startup-wont-idle.91486/page-2

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i think the bolt holes on yours are like this // \\ or \\ // but //// or \\\\ is not for your bike

5. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

As someone who has been through this, its worth the money to contact @chacal and get the correct ones for your machine. You wont be disappointed with the parts or service

6. sybe

sybe Active Member

intake boots and engine gaskets should always be oem. you might get tempted for the cheaper option but it will come with issues. chacal is a good resource and he is very helpful if you have questions.

you can find oem parts online at other sites but they arent always in stock and you cant ask questions.

7. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

I've had the aftermarket ones for 8K miles... no issues yet...

Andyam5 likes this.
  8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We had the same experience, about 1 out 4 failed rather rapidly.....and that was far too high a rejection rate for us (we're more comfortable with 1 out of every 10,000 or so failing......). We spoke to the manufacturer and they admitted (surprisingly, and honestly), that yes, they were having problems with the rubber compounds that were being supplied to them (and, although they didn't say so, I'll bet with molding procedures, i.e. temps, times, and pressures, etc.). Rubber comes in many grades, and if you try to (knowingly or not) "cheap out" on the rubber compound being used, well, then these things happen. And it's why we stopped offering them, until we hear back that the problem has been solved and we get samples that meet/exceed the MIL-R-6855 spec for this type of material.

9. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Fair enough... just thought I would try them. Saving $350 was worth it...
    From what I have seen from my PO installation and other pictures here and on the net, I think there is also a lot of wrong gasket material used (I made my own), wrong bolts or uneven tightening that can warp things and start the delamination, and so on that may contribute to leaks and failures.

That said, I keep a close eye on them and can see that they will probably not last if I were to pull the carbs 4-6 times a year (Which I hope I'm done with and down to once a year or so).
    So I'm shooting for $75 every 8 years or so instead of $400+ for 15 years at which point I will have ridden it into the ground most likely :)