1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Neutral light stays on after start up.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jamings67, Apr 29, 2016.

1. jamings67

jamings67 Member

My neutral light will stay on when running in all gears. If the bike is in 1st gear and you turn the key on the light will be out. As soon as you start the bike the light goes on. If you put it in neutral with just the key on it will light up as normal. So what could be the problem? Where do I start to look? How can I trace the problem? Thanks

2. Alan63

Alan63 Active Member

Likely either a stuck switch , or you could have the wire or a wire grounding it out, look the wiring over first, I think the switch is under the left side cover , shifter cover.
    Alan

3. jamings67

jamings67 Member

Thanks Alan I will take a look at it when I get a chance.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

do you have this wiring diagram

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Diagrams/XJ1100WD.PDF

try unpluging the side stand relay.

diode in diode block may be bad

follow Sb wire from starter cut off relay back to neutral switch wire from connector to N switch may be pinched to frame making ground.
    sb.JPG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. jamings67

jamings67 Member

Well I went for a ride today and about a mile away from my house the bike just quit. like the ignition cut out. So I pull the clutch and it cranked but would not start. I rolled to the side of the road and cranked but would not start. I wiggled the wires under the motor and then tried to start it. The bike would not turn over. I had to put the kick stand up to get it to turn over. it started and ran okay. But now the side stand light and neutral light are on when running down the road.
    Got about 1/4 mile and it shut down again but stared right up. So I went back home. Looked at the side switch and its good. When I put the kick stand up I can hear the side stand relay click and that is when the neutral light lights up. I looked a the wiring diagram and just can't see where the problem could be. The side switch relay to the neutral light is not making any sense. Why is my side stand indicator on when the switch is good and why is it powering the neutral light? Not liking the wiring on this bike. Ps can I just override the switches somehow ?

6. jamings67

jamings67 Member

Okay took another look and found the connector in the headlight the feeds the neutral light and disconnected it.
    The bike now seems to work fine. Side stand down in gear no start. I neutral start. Side stand up light for stand off and starts with clutch in. So I THINK I am okay for now. I will find out in about 20 min lol

7. jamings67

jamings67 Member

NO lol the bike ran great until I got about the same place as before and the bike cut out again. would not restart when rolling. Stopped and turned key off and back on and started right up. Took it back home and just about 1000 feet from my house it dropped to two cylinders and ran like that until I parked it. I think I have a bad coil now.

8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

One thing look for my post on using Honda CB750 coils they have removable plug wires and they mount in stock location ...and they are cheap on ebay ....but sounds like you have a bad side stand switch and or a neutral switch

9. jamings67

jamings67 Member

Okay sounds good

10. XJ550H

could be bad or failing pickup coils, or failing resistors in the spark plug caps
    ohm them all out

11. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Think that side stand relay could be the trouble. Examine the relay and the wires real close. If wires check out I'm pretty sure xj4ever has relays.

XJ550H likes this.
  12. XJ550H

removing the side stand relay over rides the safety systems it controls, remove the relay and see if your problem goes away.
    could be relay or could be side stand switch

13. jamings67

jamings67 Member

Yeah the relay is clicking louder then normal but still clicks. Everything works normal with the plug in the light that feeds the light DISCONNECTED lol. This would not cause the bike to shut off when ridding would it? That's my main problem now. The neutral light has been on for 1000 miles with no problems. Started it up and 2nd cyl was not working. I pulled the plug wires one by one and no change on N2 but I could feel the electric shock from the coil. Must look in to that next. Plug or fuel problem. Was running great IDK

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Pull the #2 plug and ground it to the head to check for spark. If you have spart then swap the #2 and #3 plugs. If the problem follows the plug then it's a bad plug that can't fire under compression. If the problem stays with the #2 cylinder then it's a fuel issue.

15. ant797

ant797 Member

i had a stuck switch except it was stuck off as i read on this forum you can get a srrew driver or something and a hammer and tap the neutral safety switch till it frees up

16. jamings67

jamings67 Member

update I fixed the neutral light it was my fault I had connected it to a ground last time I was in the harness. Fixed now. I also fixed that #2 misfire. The small jet in the carb fell out and was flooding it. It must have vibrated loose.
    I have not road tested it to see if it will cut out on me yet. Maybe tomorrow.

k-moe likes this.