1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Aussie member - New to XJ's

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Robo, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Robo

Robo New Member

G'day All,

New member from Australia here. Found this site after a little searching today and it sounds perfect. Never had any sort of XJ before so any information is welcome.

I've managed to get my hands onto an '83 XJ750R which currently not running; suspect an electrical problem at this stage, but I intend to strip it down (how much I'm not sure yet) and rebuild it. I've attached a pic showing the bike when it was first picked up by the previous owner. It's current state is a little worse off, front faring is gone along with the original indicators. I'm fairly confident that it's a Seca, though I'm looking for some conformation on this. I also have XJ7581A listed on some paperwork, if anyone can shed some light on what that means. Far as I can tell the "A" refers to the engine? Trying to track down a manual for it a the moment.

In the past I've had a couple of projects. One in particular was a '76 Datsun 180Bsss (car) that'd been in the family since new. I restored it from the ground and kept it granny spec. Got knocked off last year and torched... :( Still torn up about that. Only had one bike in the past, a '92 Honda XR250R (dirt bike) so this XJ is something totally different.

Attached Files:

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

Hi Robo, welcome, where you from N.S.E.W ?
    Try this & don't tell RickCoMatic. Wiz.

3. ken007

ken007 Member

welcome robo,everything you need is here,sorry to hear about the SSS,did they get the grub,regards ken

4. Robo

Robo New Member

Hey Wizard and Ken, I'm from SA, but in the ACT for study. Unfortunately, nothing about the sss, probably a good thing though (wouldn't want to be able to do anything stupid).
    I'm guessing RickCoMatic is a mod, hope I don't get burnt for sharing this link. Not sure if it's been on the site before, but looking at the content I think many would find it interesting.

5. skillet

skillet Active Member

WELCOME from TN!!!

skillet

6. Alive

Alive Active Member

Welcome Robo... Yup you have a Seca....

Post the first 3 digits of the frame (On the goose neck) or engine number to get confirmation of the vintage.

I've got a couple of those front fairings but I suspect like the fuel tank I tried to send Wiz, that it's over sized and really bloody expensive to ship across the ditch.

7. Robo

Robo New Member

Hey,
    Yeah, I used the thread about VINs on here to get more info regarding the bike, didn't get time to do anything else on the weekend though. Turns out it's a 45T, so actually an 84 XJ750 Seca. Also found it interesting that this is a 750 engine in a XJ900 frame, not sure what this means yet. The thread also indicated it should have a 17 digit VIN on the plate riveted to the frame, but only the short VIN was present on this plate. But the engine does match the frame, which does keep it nice and simple.