1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New biker! XJ750 Seca!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Chorca, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Chorca

Chorca Member

Well everyone, I suppose i'll introduce myself. I just purchased a good-running (mostly) 1982 XJ750 Seca for $650. It's a bit rough in the cosmetic department, but the engine itself seems to run pretty well, although it needs a little love too. It's going to be my project over the next few months, so yay!

Rode it the 25 miles or so home, ran great, but boy is it loud! My ears were ringing for hours afterwards. Someone knocked out the rear baffles or something in the exhaust with a hammer.. Looking to get a set of stock pipes or something aftermarket that's quieter.. That or start wearing earplugs. >.<

Anyways, here's some pictures of the ride!

Click on the picture to see a bunch more pics.
    [​IMG]

2. mikeg

mikeg Member

Welcome aboard Chocra! You've come to the right place if you're planning on a project.

mikeg

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Nice looking paint ! Know someone with a welder?
    Weld flat end plates on the end with a 5/8 hole- - for now.
    Should be plenty quiet

4. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Welcome to the site chocra, very nice bike you got there. Congrats, I'm sure you'll love your bike, I have a 750 seca as well. Although i have switched mine to a round single headlight.

5. hammerheadx

hammerheadx Member

Congrats on the score, Amigo!

Another XJ with a missing right side cover. What are the odds? LOL.

6. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

It looks solid. I'm a Seca fan. Looks like an easy project. I've recently found that the Dennis Kirk website has several exhaust options.

7. Thee_oddball

Thee_oddball Member

I dont think those are stock mufflers you have there, you can get replacement mufflers from JC Whitney for about $60

p.s CONGRATS!

8. XJ700VET

XJ700VET Member

I use to have a Seca 400. I noticed that you got some rust issues on the tank and the frame. My Seca had rust on the tank in the same place. I heard that this is quite common due to teh design of the tank, they will pool water in the low corners. You might need to get that welded closed. What happened to the frame to collect so much rust? Looks like a sweet bike.

Cheers
    Ken

9. Chorca

Chorca Member

Thanks! I'll definately check out those sites here at work today, see if I can find a replacement set.

The set that's on there seems to be stock, but they were chrome, then painted over blue, then painted over black, and now both colors are rubbing off to reveal the chrome again. :p So i'm thinking someone just tried to rattlecan it.

Here's a picture of the carnage looking into the pipe from the rear, click to see bigger:
    [​IMG]

From what I can tell, the jaggies around the pipe there are where the rear plate used to be, and now it's just open.

In other news, I was looking through that amazing post by Chacal, and decided to go check the VIN numbers on the bike. Lo and behold, the frame and engine don't match! It seems that while the frame is 5G2-10401X (last digit is gone due to rust), the engine is 22R-100675. Looking at the list there, it appears the while the frame is truly a '82 Seca, the engine appears to be from a '83 Maxim/Midnight.
    Correct me if I'm wrong there, but it looks like I can't be sure how many miles are on this thing. Well, the engine at least.

Don't get me wrong, she runs great! I'm already making a list of parts to get from Chacal to start fixing this thing up!

Thanks for all the greetings, guys! This is an awesome site!

10. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Hey !
    You might not want to ride it until you put in a pinch bolt on the swingarm.
    In fact, check your rear brake shoes for delamination, bleed front brakes, ETC. Just assume your PO did NO safety related maintenance.

And Chirag = Chacal, i assume.

11. Chorca

Chorca Member

Poop! Fixed that. ^_^

Pinch bolt? Where/what is that for?

And I reeeeally don't want to ride it until I get that fast idle fixed.. I hafta shut it off at stoplights.

12. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

In your picture, near the bottom shock mount at the back of the swingarm, get a metric bolt about an inch long, thread in from the top.
    It would help "solidify" the whole structural intergrity of your swingarm-axle-tire. . . then that begs the question of. . . what else is missing?

Fast idle, what happens if you lower it using the knob under carbs 2-3 ?
    Does it die? Does it idle on all 4? spray water on your exhaust to check for a "dead" cyl. Post up a pic of all 4 plugs on a brown paper bag.

13. Chorca

Chorca Member

Oohhhh.. I see what you're talking about.. on the right side on the back.. That does look a bit odd without a bolt in it.. I'll go locate one and get that put in there!

Thanks! :D

14. Chorca

Chorca Member

It idles too low cold and stalls out, it idles at 4000 RPM when it's hot. The intake manifolds are completely shot, they're cracking like crazy. I haven't tried checking for a dead cylinder, but I can certainly give it a shot. I haven't been riding it at all aside from getting it back to my house so I can work on it.

I've kinda been putting together a parts list of what I'm going to need to replace those things, and if i'm going to have the carbs out at the same time, I might as well rebuild them as well.. and should probabaly replace the gasket for the valve cover.. and while that's off check the shims.. Haha, one thing leads to another.. I'll try and pull the plugs and check them tonight, we'll see how they look.

15. Robert

Robert Active Member

Welcome Chorca, it sounds like you need to give the bike the once-over with a fine-toothed comb for safety's sake! I wouldn't ride it again until you are 100% certain everything is in it's place and tight. Could you post your general location in your signature, you never know who could be around the corner to help turn a wrench or show you the ropes of these beautiful machines...

16. Chorca

Chorca Member

Heh, good idea. Threw it into the main profile so it shows up everywhere, lol. But yeah, I plan on going over most of the bike.. I'm kind of in a holding pattern on it, since I'm going to be moving shortly; don't wanna get into something like a carb rebuild and then have to move all those little parts!

Heh, I'd welcome help from anyone in the Orlando area who wants to mess around with this beast, I'm sure others know a lot more about what to look for than I do!

As a sidenote, took a glance under the carbs this morning and it looks like someone's kinda stripped out a screw or two.. gonna hafta see what I can get from Chacal...

17. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You never heard of Clermont? I'm 20 miles west of you.

Hope you're not moving to Crime Hills.
    (see, no one would get that).

I have a ColorTune plug, sync tool, YICS tool, XJCD, and parts bikes.
    And 5 acres of storage. You'll be fixed up in no time.

18. Chorca

Chorca Member

Oh, haha, well damn! I didn't even look at your location there, I feel silly.

Funny thing, I'm going to be moving out to Clermont in like a week for about 5 months. I'm sure we can find some time to mess around with this thing if that's something you do, lol!

I'll prolly be carting this thing out there; there's no way it's going to be in any sort of safe riding condition in a week's time.

19. Andy Bosone

Andy Bosone New Member

I'm thinking of doing the headlight conversion. What headlight and bucket did you use?

20. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

@Andy Bosone, this thread is from six years ago. Chorca hasn't logged back in since 2010.