1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New enthusiast here with many questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Shavkat Yaparov, Mar 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Shavkat Yaparov

Shavkat Yaparov New Member

Hello Guys, my name is Shavkat. I’m a junior mechanical engineering student, and just got my first bike: 1985 Xj700 MaximX (liquid cooled). I got it for $350 in a relatively good condition and with with titles. I wanted to first say thank you guys for keeping valuable information so well preserved. I find myself constantly browsing through this site, but this is my first post here.
    So, there goes the long list of questions..

1) I just cleaned the carburetor and replaced the washer for one of the jets, because the washer was missing and the jet was floating the the bowl. This lowered my RPMs from 5000 to about 1100 on idle. Between 1-2 and 3-4 carbs, there are 2 hoses coming out. From what I understand, those are overflow hoses? I just took the hoses off, and pointed those little T connectors on the ground. Should be fine?

2) I replaced the coolant in the system, and now observe it leaking once pressure builds up. Plastic Radiator bleeder screw is cracked and also is missing a seal. I’ll 3D print new one, and try to find a matching seal ASAP. Also, on the right side of the bike, a metal pipe runs, that is mounted on one of the water pump screws. Coolant leeks from there too, but not as significant. Has this happened to anyone? Should I take the water pump off and try to replace the seal and tighten the bolt?

3) I have also recently noticed that one of the spark plug boots was shooting spark onto the cylinder head. From what I understand, this is something that can wait couple weeks, right? Unfortunately I wasn’t able to check all the boots, because my battery drained. I’ll fully charge it, and update you with what I see there. What other “temporary” ways are there to prevent the loss of voltage? What are alternatives to buying 4 new OEM wires with boots?
    I will try pulling the wire out and cut about 1/4 inch of the wire, maybe this will improve the connection. If not, I was just gonna wrap it with etape until I can afford boots

4) I tuned the butterflies in the carburetor with a high E electric guitar string, due to the absence of any vacuum measuring devices. It revs steadily on 1100 RPM on idle, however, if I jerk the throttle too fast or not gradually, RPMs drop below 1100. Is this what’s called bogging? Could it be cause by my poor carburetor tuning? Or not enough current is being supplied to spark plugs To fix it, I gotta get a hold of a vacuum gage?

5) what can be done with wires? Whenever I turn left, panel lights die. How much of a pain is it to troubleshoot the wires and maybe fix them?

I think that’s all for now;
    I appreciate that you got to this point of my lengthy post. Thanks guys! Feel free to give even basic advices on how to treat her well, and what I’m don’t wrong/ right

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you will want to put those hoses back on better fuel drains to the ground than on your motor. adding the washer sealed the jet and lowered it into the fuel where it belongs .
    replace the boots the tape will only last for a short time before voltage leaks through again.
    our supporting vendor sells aftermarket caps for your bike . a lot chearer than oem which he also sells

www.xj4ever.com

email address on web page or start a conversation with him here chacal is the name he uses here

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome fellow Wisconsinite!

Having the proper tools to do those carb sync makes it much easier to property set them.

The idea of electrical tape on the boots will work for a short time. The heat from the cylinder heads will brake down the tape so new boots should be ordered.

Turning the bars and have the lights go out is do the wire stretch I am guessing. You will have to take a look at the wire connectors and see if they are all pushed in all the way. If and when you take the headlight out, take a pic of how the wires are tucked away behind the headlight. This will help you put them back in place so the headlight will fit back in. It is tight in there with all those wires.

If you have the bike idling at 1100, I think you did a good job with the carb clean and your throttle seals seem to be good.

When you are tuning your bike on the "center stand" it is best to put a fan in front of the bike so it does not get too hot. Just something I do to help the bike bleed some of that heat away.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.