1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New guy here - 1982 XJ650J restoration

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by penningp, Aug 11, 2009.

1. penningp

penningp New Member

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum but thought I might be able to get the best answer here so I registered!

I am in the process of restoring a 1982 XJ650J w/frame # starting with 5N8. I recently purchased a new to me wiring harness off of ebay from what was supposed to be a 1982 Yamaha Maxim (XJ650J). I was begining the install of the harness to me and realised that the harness is either from a G, H or LH model - I know this because this harness does not have a plug for the kickstand switch. Personally I don't mind if the kickstand switch is out of the loop so no big deal there but......What else am I going to run into?

Will this harness work on my bike or not - do I need to look for another harness and be more careful this time??

Thanks for the help,

Paul

2. greggvickrey

greggvickrey Member

Welcome to the site Paul. I can't help you on the harness ? as I (knock on wood) have not had any elec problems on my 650H. Someone will pop on here with the answer to your question, just be patient. It also doesn't hurt to bump your post to keep it active. Again, welcome & don't hesitate to ask any question. There are no dumb questions, I have ask plenty of those myself. Good luck with your harness, I'm sure it is probably no big deal.
    Gregg

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I think you'll have the following issues putting an XJ650 G or H harness on a J or K bike:

- No provision for side stand switch
    - No provision for side stand relay (which doesn't matter if you aren't using the side stand switch.
    - No connections for the electronic tach as the G and H models used a mechanical tach. Adding leads for the electric tach would be a minor issue.

For that matter, I believe you could easily graft on the side stand switch and relay.

4. penningp

penningp New Member

IF those are the only three issues I don't really see any issue in using this wiring harness.

I would have to ad a lead for the tach though - I hate things that don't work - especially if I can see 'em!!!

Thanks for the help!!

Paul

5. Wyldman

Wyldman Member

Welcome to the forum.

6. raven7644

raven7644 Member

Welcome to the forum penningp. A LOT of useful info here that I can make a testimony to be a tremendous help. Best of luck!

7. yamahamandk

yamahamandk Member

Welcome penningp. A lot of sharp XJ'ers on the forum that should be a great help for anything your looking to do to your bike.

Was looking on Ebay and found another wiring harness taken from a working XJ. Comes with the rectifier - starting bid 12.99 and 10.95 shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-Yamah ... ccessories

If you win it for 12.99 it might be worth the $24, or even more, just to get the right harness.

8. Screaming650

Screaming650 Member

I ran Into the same problem when restoring my XJ. I went with an 82 YICS motor from a 80 standard 650. The only other problem I had, other than whats listed was the resistor plug In the front behind the headlight was different and the tail light wires we also different. The taillight harness came from was dual bulb mine was a single. It was a very easy fix. as far as the tac wires, Pretty simple I just used an ohm meter to trace the wiring down on my old harness and taped Into exsisting on the new harness. The wires are all there there just not branched off for the tac.

9. penningp

penningp New Member

Well So far MiCarl was correct there was no provision for the sidestand relay or sidestand switch.

I have got this new harness attached from the back of the bike up through the front forks - going slowly and making sure that everything is nice and tight. the next step is to run the new harness into the headlight - might not get to that tonight because my wife is stopping by the grocery store and picking up beer. I think I may be sitting on the deck throwing back some cold ones this evening!

yamahamandk - I saw that harness as well and sent a message to the seller to make sure it was the correct frame number and thereby verifying that the harness was the correct one. I still have not received an answer. the harness I already got off of ebay was advertised as an 1982 harness but wasnt from my style bike - don't want to get the wrong part again.

Screaming650 - thanks for the info - might need your help with the tach part - I guess i will see what happens when I get there.

10. Screaming650

Screaming650 Member

No worries when the time comes let me know and Ill post detail pics of where to tap In.

11. penningp

penningp New Member

WOO HOO!!!!!!!

finished installing the wiring harness today and the bike runs great!!!!!!!!!!

Screaming650 - need that help with the Tach

Thanks everyone with the help!!!!!!!!!!

12. Screaming650

Screaming650 Member

Hey grats on the fire up!! always glad to hear when another projects takes a good turn, I know how devious XJ can be. Ill take some pics this evening of the tap Ins and post them In the thread here.

13. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

good work penningp, been watching your thread welcome to the xj world :)

14. Screaming650

Screaming650 Member

The blue wire Is located on the bottom relay just below the voltage regulator

The brown wire Is located just after the relay plug under the left side of the tank

and the orange wire is located on the top plug of the CDI module

the black Is a standard ground, It can be attached any place there is a ground I used a ground behind the headlight.

15. Screaming650

Screaming650 Member

FOr some reason I cant get the pics to post Ill throw them In my photobucket so you can see them and post the link here.

16. Screaming650

Screaming650 Member

I got them to work had to resize them

Attached Files:

17. penningp

penningp New Member

Tach is running - thanks for the pics Screaming650 - they really helped. Next up is a new valve cover gasket with the little rubberthings that go around the screws.

Took my first ride today - the bike runs great!!! about 6K rpms at about 55mph - is that normal??

where shoud I buy the valve cover gasket?? suggestions please.

18. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

Hey penningp,
    Good job great to here its up and running. Yes 6k at 55mph is normal. Chacal is the parts guru send him a PM and he'll send you a quote back.
    Since you'll have the valve cover off check your valve clearances there are how to's on here somewhere for it. And Chacal can set you up with new valve shims if you need them. Make sure you get new doughnuts for the vaklve cover bolts too they are what put the pressure on the valve cover and hence on the new gasket.
    GoodLuck check in on ya later,
    James