1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Member & New XJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Salatino, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Salatino

Salatino New Member

Hey everyone , finally I got in after 2 weeks of trying. The click on I'm not a robot thing just kept spinning and spinning. Just picked up a 1982 XJ 650 a few weeks ago from a buddy of mine . Its been sitting since Jan - 08 in a garage . Its showing a lil over 9,350 on the speedo. Needs a lil work to get it back up and running , after searching online for info and parts that how I ended up here. Yes it has the stock air box and I plan on keeping it on for next year at least. I replaced the main switch since the key would not work anymore , I tried just about everything you could think of with no luck. Went with a Emgo switch instead of spending $160 for a oem. New battery, Now the starter button is broke. I just pulled the starter off so I can bench test it and make sure it works just so I know. My question now is if I bypass the switch do I need to ground it also. when you hit the button does it come in contact with the handle bars . I'll try to get some pics of the bike later on and post. I know everyone likes pictures.

2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

The start button grounds the circuit to the solenoid which engages the starter. Since you have an 82 I believe they have their own ground for the start button instead of using the handlebars for ground like previous models. Double check on that though.

XJ550H likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when you press the starter button it connects the circuit to ground. the switch is a unit in the control which makes connection to handle bars for ground also some modles have a ground wire coming out to the harness to get to ground.

www.xj4ever.com sells replacment starter buttons and switches

this is how to clean ignition key switch also on the bottom will be the key code

Clean and lube the ignition switch

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Salatino

Salatino New Member

Thanks for the quick reply , I know I seen the replacement button and spring for sale. I also seen a aftermarket switch that the button goes in. I'm not positive because I didn't look into it too much yet, but I think you need to solder the blue wire back on. Or whatever color wire it is. My manual is out in the garage , but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. There is only 2 wires coming from the starter switch. what I'm trying to do is ,just get this thing where I can turn it over ,make sure everything works on it b 4 I take the carbs off and clean it. I forgot to mention the original key switch after I tore it down was cracked and I tried takin a file to it and cleaning it all out. I spent a few days cleaning it ,soaking , and just trying to work it free. Basically it wasn't worth the aggravation anymore .So $30 isn't bad at all to fix that problem. Back to the button now, Want I wanted to know if I take and snip the wire coming from the switch and twist them up and add another wire to it that I can touch it to the bars or the forks will that work. Like I said I'm just wanting to see what have that works, and don't work. As long as the starter is good off the bike then maybe after I bypass the button I can move to the solenoid check it out. Already checked the relays and they do click when I put power to them.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

starter button replacement does not require any soldering unless the wire is broken off. the button comes with a button spring and metal insert.