1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New owner of a Yamaha XJ750 Maxim

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Gokartish, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Gokartish

Gokartish New Member

Hey guys! New owner of a 750 Maxim here.
    a little about my bike, It was purchased from the original owner's elderly son, im guessing the original owner is no longer with us. It has 21k miles, black bike and is mostly stock, has what i think are aftermarket highway pegs, a really odd and hard to use "cruise control" and thats about it. The bike is pretty good looking, ill have to figure out how to upload pictures later, however it does have 2 small dents on the left hand side of the tank. however it does have one small issue. The odometer doesnt work. I was told that the previous owner had gotten a new front tire recently and read on these fourms that these are connected somehow. ill need to read more on that. Hope to be here for a while! So far i love this bike!

ksigurdsen likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Welcome aboard.
    Read This First

Is the speedometer not working, or just the odometer?

If both are not working it could be that the speedometer drive was not reinstalled correctly when the tire was put on. I suggest getting a service manual so you can have all of the torque specs readily at hand when you work on the machine. The front wheel will have to be removed to line up the tabs on the wheel center with the slots on the speedometer drive. THe tabs may have been bent, in which case you can bend them back and inspect for cracks. If there are no cracks then that part is fine to keep using.

It's also possile that the cable is not seated correctly, or has broken, so check that first. There is a knurled nut behind the speedometer to undo the cable with, and a 10mm bolt om the speedometer drive at the wheel for the other end.

If just the odometer is not working then the fault is inside of the instrument itself.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  3. Gokartish

Gokartish New Member

Hi! Both are inoperable currently. However within the past 50 miles or so the mileage on the odo has gone up about .2 miles
    Thank you for sharing the information overload post, i bet itll be super helpful!

k-moe likes this.