1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

new owner with bike won't start

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tommygunzit, Jan 6, 2006.

1. tommygunzit

tommygunzit New Member

i have a 84 maxim 400 which my brother owned but he gave it to me cause he couldn't get it started. I haven't ridden due to problem but this bike was working fine then suddenly stopped starting. Tried pushstarting but it only just barely sputters then stops when bike does. Tried jumpstarting but again only turns over and then backfires everyonce in a while. Tried starting by putting gas in spray bottle and spraying into carb with aircleaner off, still won't fire. I pulled the plugs and there looked to be spark when i put it to the frame. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? any help appreciated for this first ever bike owner. thanks

2. capy

capy Member

I would have to start by asking all the basics.
    Do you know what your compression is?
    What color spark are you getting across the plug electrode?
    Have you verified that the timing has not been knock out.
    What happen just before it quit starting?

3. tommygunzit

tommygunzit New Member

I'll start by telling you that i'm very wet behind the ears as far as bikes go. I have not tested compression, have not checked timing either as i don't know how or do i have the tools. But the spark was bluish white. As far as when the bike stopped starting. It was when my bro owned it and he said it was running fine. He parked it. The next day he put it on his friends truck to take to drivers test. When he took it off the truck to start it for road test it wouldn't start. It just cranks but doesn't fire. It will backfire a little once in a while when gassed and choked a bunch while cranking but that's it. never fires. please let me know if you have any further questions or suggestions. thanks

4. capy

capy Member

BLuish white sounds like you might have a bad coil. PM me on what kind of bike it is and I will look it up for you and see if I can't walk you through everything to check to get the thing up and running again for you.