1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New tires, go they need to be broken in?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by thefox, Mar 31, 2006.

1. thefox

thefox Member

What is the break in for new tires? Do I just take it easy for a while?

2. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    I've heard both.

One group of people say that the release agent on tires is slippery take it easy for the first 100 miles.

The other group of people say that they don't use the same release agent on tires anymore don't worry about it.

Personally? I think the tires I've brought look really shinny and until they look dull I take it easy. To make things really simple - treat them with 'new tire caution' until you've put 100 miles on and access from there.

That being said - if the tire compound was the final straw that broke the camels back in your assessment of the bikes turing capability - then perhaps you should slow down anyhow ;)

3. davidjrmy

davidjrmy New Member

The tires can be slick until they are scuffed up a bit. Also until the tires are broken in you have the potential of breaking the tire loose on the rim. Most techs will tell you 100 miles should be plenty for a breakin on tires.

4. woot

woot Active Member

Really - I didn't know that about the bead slipping on the rim - I assume that has to do with the liquid (dish soap) they use to help get the bead in place.

5. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

I don't know about the slipping on the rim either but I know that my new tires were very slippery. I almost wiped out on the first corner. Yep, take it easy for 100 miles and you should be good to go. I also heard you can use sand paper on the tire to speed up the break-in process :wink:

6. thefox

thefox Member

Ok, cool, only 60 more miles then :D . I just noticed that they have that new tire shine on the tread too so I didn't know if there was anything special to do. I'm not the type to push my bike to the limits anyways.

7. woot

woot Active Member

I'll break in tires for anyone that needs the service :D

I'll put 1000 miles on them and send them to who ever wants them... they'll come scuffed in the whole way across - so you don't have to worry about hitting a fresh bit of tire ;)

I keed! I keed! Unless someone REALLY wants to send me a regular supply of fresh tires. :D

8. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Very interesting service :D :D :D

9. Robert

Robert Active Member

And such a friendly staff too! What a great place to get your bike's shoes updated! I'll get up there someday Woot.