1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to bikes, new '82 650 Maxim owner

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 650MAX, Apr 27, 2019.

1. 650MAX

650MAX Member

IMG_1030.JPG
    Got questions!

I've been reading and will continue but in the meantime you guys might be able to help me out a bit...

As you might have noticed right away, the carbs are completely exposed with no filters whatsoever! I'm not sure how much it was ridden like that, but it seems fine so far and I won't continue to ride it that way. Fortunately, the seller had the air box and all four boots which seem to be in nice condition. I understand installing that box is sort of a bitch, but I'll git er done. One catch here though...it looks like the air box may not be complete? Check pics, let me know if I'm missing something and maybe pop me an Ebay link or something so I'll know what I'm shopping for. And the fasteners too, I didn't get a box of screws or anything like that with the bike.

Next on the hit list are the brakes and tires. Pretty sure my tires are from the 80's and need to be replaced even though they show little if any tread wear. Referring again to the pics, maybe someone can enlighten me on the date codes? Also the front brake is very weak, but the rear feels ok. Either way it's getting new brake hoses and pads/shoes. If I could get some input on where to shop for that stuff I'd appreciate it. Looks like removing the front wheel isn't too much trouble but what about the back? Shaft drives are supposedly good stuff from what I've read, but does it make getting the rear tire off a painful proposition?

Oh yeah, and the turn indicator lights. Both the rears are removed for some reason? Looks like in my pile of extra parts I have one that came off the bike and one that came from somewhere else, lol. I'll have to do a bit of wiring there after I round up one more light. I assume they are supposed to flash, right? Currently when I throw the switch I just get a steady left or right front turn signal light. I'm hoping with the rear lights hooked up it will flash. Or does it not work that way?

Aaaaand, while I have the front wheel off, should I be doing something with the forks? There's no problem there that I'm aware of, but I've ready about guys taking them apart and putting in fresh oil or whatever... is that something I need to be concerned about as long as things move smoothly and seem to have an appropriate shock absorbing action?

Oh and a little about me...

I'm a pretty mechanical minded guy. Had a '65 Galaxie as my only car from 2010 to 2015. Had probably 6 different engines in it, 4 of them I built myself (always trying something different) swapped the original auto trans out for a 5 speed overdrive, set up and ran several different rear end gears, relocated the battery, start relay and ignition box to the trunk, so on and so forth. So I figured I could probably get into having an old bike, especially since it doesn't have to be my daily driver.

I've never had a bike before and had been thinking about getting one off and on for a couple years. Last weekend I took the MSF course and found my bike on Craigslist yesterday. 18K miles and it fires right up so I think after doing the things I listed above it should be an alright bike to get me going. Paid $800 for it, does that seem like an alright price? Seems like most all of the bikes I found under $1000 or even $1500 either were not running or were missing titles. Or both!

Or maybe I'll be $1500 into this bike by the time it's ready to ride? What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Here's the extra stuff I got with the bike. Airbox and boots as I had mentioned, the original handlebars, back rest and pad, stinky musty saddlebags, quieter mufflers, mismatched turn signal lights, and what's that in the bottom pic? Some kind of kit that was in it's own bag, but what is it for?

IMG_1010.JPG IMG_1025.JPG

3. 650MAX

650MAX Member

And what's this part? Looks like a battery tray or something? Battery seems properly mounted, maybe I need to take closer look in there.

IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1018.JPG

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Welcome aboard. Start with reading the first post in my signature.
    You have a solid bike to start with, but she'll need going through before you have her road worthy.
    The typical budget is between $600 and $800, but you might spend less since she's a runner.

650MAX likes this.
  5. raskal

raskal Active Member

I don't think you're looking at the right tire date codes.
    Look for the DOT stamp
    The date code should be 4 digits, first 2 digits are the week and the last 2 are the year of manufacture
    If the code is only 3 digits, it was made prior to 2000 and should be replaced.

for example, I've attached mine 4608. Tire was made the 46th week of 2008... hmmm... almost 11 years old. Recommended replacement is 7 years I believe... now I know what to ask for on my next birthday

Attached Files:

650MAX likes this.
  6. 650MAX

650MAX Member

So... 33 year old tires.

But she seems to run alright, check it out... The guy I got it from said he had been a bike mechanic for a lot of years and had gone through the carbs a couple times already since the bike had been sitting 16 years prior to him getting it.

7. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Thanks for the help so far guys, I've been reading through a bunch of links and learning a lot about my bike already. I see manuals or at leas A manual needs to be at the head of the shopping list. I've found this one, does anyone know if it's worth getting? http://www.servicerepairmanualonline.com/4268/yamaha-xj650-seca-maxim-turbo-xj-650-manual/
    Also there are the Yamaha printed manuals on Ebay and the Haynes manual available all over. Even Autozone shows that one, but I bet it's not on the shelf at my local store...

Anyone happen to have a link for a free downloadable version?

8. k-moe

She's running, but not well.
    Throttle should respond faster, and it sounds like there's a misfire at first.

The engine should sound like a sewing machine, not a Harley.
    Check valve clearances.

Was that a cold start? Choke on or off?

This is how it should sound.
    1982-xj650-seca-ticking-sound.103497

Your's should only need minor work to get there.

Put that airbox in. That is probably where the misfire is coming from.
    How -to

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  9. 650MAX

650MAX Member

That was a cold start with no choke. They guy I got it from said it only ever needs 1/2 choke at most, and the few times I've started it I haven't used the choke at all.

Soon as I get the manual I'll investigate that valve lash.

Thanks again for the links! Let's see if she doesn't sound a bit closer to that bike in the video in a week or two. I might also install the quieter mufflers since I hope to ride to work eventually. I'd like to be a good neighbor and keep the noise levels down when I roll out of here at 5:30 AM. I'm totally on board with the sewing machine sound

k-moe likes this.
  10. k-moe

Put a dose of Seafoam in the tank and see if things clear up a bit. With the current temps where you're at you shouldn't' need choke, but it does sound a lot like she's misfiring until she heats up a bit. If you were using the enrichment I'd say that one of the jets in the float bowls is clogged. You may have a partially clogged pilot, and the Seafoam may clean it up without needing to remove the carbs.

650MAX likes this.
  11. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Got an e-copy of the manual (Thanks a bunch!) and did my valve lash this afternoon. Wasn't such a bad job at all and cost me $0.00! I was expecting the valve cover to be permanently glued on, requiring a new $25.00 gasket for reassembly but nope! Popped right off there no problem. I didn't bother removing the tank, I just lifted it up a little and worked under it. Also I didn't take the cover off the side of the engine, I just put the bike in 5th gear and pulled the rear tire to rotate the engine. Was a bit harder to turn than I expected even with the plugs out, but really was no problem. Then on to checking the lashes...
    #1 intake, .006, Exhaust, .006
    #2 intake, .005, Exhaust, .007
    #3 intake, .004, Exhaust, .005
    #4 intake, .008, Exhaust, .007

Found the bag of 3 lash wafers that came with the bike and proceeded to swap out the two that were out of spec so I have #3 Ex at .007, and #1 In .005.
    Got everything back together no problem and fired her up (yay! Still works). I had to use the choke a bit today and I thought maybe it sounds a bit more frisky but I"m not 100% sure. I THOUGHT I took another short video to run by you guys but seems I only got a picture, lol.

Tomorrow I'll try to get an actual video and I'll probably try to get the other exhaust pipes on there with yet another quick vid. Hopefully this week I'll be able to try it with the airbox in place, though I may wait until next weekend to start that project.

12. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Can do with the seafoam too. But the carbs will have to come out anyway to get the airbox in won't they? Maybe I can learn something about them while they're out. I'll look through the manual before tear any of them down, but if you have suggestions regarding what to look for I'm all ears.

13. k-moe

Ya, the carbs have to come out to install the airbox.
    I'd double check the fuel levels, as they can cause trouble if they're off by much. Setting the fuel levels
    It may be that the misfire is entirely due to the airbox being off. Check what pilot and main jets it has though, sometimes they get changed when people make intake and exhaust mods, sometimes not.

Also check that the air jets are in the right places. The manual has them labled wrong, and they will swap.
    [​IMG]
    We've even seen them swapped for the air compensator jets that go next to the carb intake.

14. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

650MAX likes this.
  15. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Yes sir! Bought one off Fleabay yesterday, due to arrive on Thursday. Such a deal too, only $8.50 and free shipping! Didn't have to think twice on that deal.

Oops... Duct, item #13 is MIA. none found on the big auction site. May have to improvise on that one. At least google showed me some pics so I can sort of tell what my next cereal box and fiberglass creation is supposed to look like.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  16. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

650MAX likes this.
  17. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Can anyone confirm that these tires will fit my bike before I pull the trigger on them please?

Front: https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-90-19-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
    Rear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/130-90-16-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Or I could go with a different more off-road style rear for a few dollars more: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duro-HF904...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My ride to work consists of about a half mile of neighborhood and side streets, 8 miles of 70MPH highway with a couple sweeping curves that would be fun at speed, 5 miles of hilly two-lane, about a half mile of hard packed gravel road (which I could avoid if I add about another mile and a half to my trip) and about a 150 yard long loose gravel parking lot at the shop where I work. Dual sport tires might look goofy on my bike but maybe they would be good for the gravel areas, whattaya think?

XJ75082 likes this.
  18. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

The mile and a half you add to your trip will be much more enjoyable than the half mile of gravy (not a typo, that stuff can get a little slippery!)

650MAX likes this.
  19. 650MAX

650MAX Member

I was thinking that too. I got impatient and already ordered a pair of Shinko 712 street tires. Seems like those got slightly better reviews than the other cheapo tires.

20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

i've heard good things about the Shinkos too.