1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to forum justt purchased my first bike an 81 xj650 midnight maxim going to bob it.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Dillon r., Apr 5, 2016.

1. Dillon r.

Dillon r. New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello everyone my names Dillon from Washington state just picked up a 81 xj650 midnight maxim for an awesome price of 300$ didn't run cleaned carb up good runs now so started the building process you guys have some incredible bikes! Ordered some ape hangers and a new solo seat to start mocking everything up. Advice is greatly taken! I'm a welder so I love fabbing stuff!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The airbox. Keep it.

Stumplifter likes this.
  3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Welcome Dillon,
    From a safety/ reliability stand point, it is my understanding that the XJ650's front fender is part of the structural support of the front fork assy., see if the seller has it kicking around in his garage.

And put some air in that front tire! :D

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

It may have been a midnight at some point in time, but there are so few Midnight parts still on your bike. Its only a midnight now because it used to be one. Now, it's just another on of the minions of 650's That have been cut. Too bad it's a midnight that got lost.

5. Dillon r.

Dillon r. New Member

It actually has a lot of the midnight parts that the previous owners painted over still has the gold rims they just spray painted the black the carb still has the "gold" on the caps but other than that you are correct

6. Dillon r.

Dillon r. New Member

I have the front fender thanks for the heads up! And needs a new front tire so working on that thanks

7. hogfiddles

I guess it depends on how one would look at it. The way I see it, there's only a few midnight parts...

I did see:
    the sprayed-over rims
    The gold carb hats
    The upper fork tube covers

Can see but possibly also painted-over:
    Rear hub
    Brake cover
    Rear footrest mounts

Can't get a good enough look:
    Gas cap
    Front brake rotor

But I also DON'T see midnight maxim:
    Turn signal housings
    Handle bar
    Gauge cover
    Headlight ring
    Fork emblem
    Fork lowers
    Exhaust pipes
    Mufflers
    Tank
    Tank trim
    Side covers
    Side cover emblems
    Clutch cover
    Airbox covers
    Taillight housing
    Mirrors
    Grab rail
    Swing arm pivot covers

8. Dillon r.

Dillon r. New Member

yea its ok not too worried about it being a true midnight anymore they already screwed that up but next question does anyone know where to get a new fuel shut off set up mines gaskets and such leaked

9. Dillon r.

Dillon r. New Member

so the guy gave me the airbox but said he had to cut it to get it out how big of a pain is it to just use pods and rejet the carbs or have someone do it? thanks i might try to see if i can repair the stock box does it make it run that much better?

10. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Up on the top right of your screen is a link to the xj4ever catalog. User chacal here offers just about anything you could need for the bike there.
    As far as pods go, there seem to be many more people that can't get it right than can. People get their bikes running that way, but generally not well.

Stumplifter likes this.
  11. k-moe

The airbox. Fix it, or buy a replacement.
    It does not matter what motorcycle you're working on; constant velocity carburetors need an airbox to work as designed. Fuel metering is controlled entirely via airflow. Mess with the airflow dymanics and you mess with fuel metering.

12. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

Heed well the advice of Hogfiddles and K-Moe.....if you want to get your bike running right (especially if you want to do the work only once)!

ecologito likes this.
  13. hogfiddles

I would find a complete airbox and take the time to correctly install it. Use the correct boots correct jets, etc....... The engineers knew what they were doing.

iT is NOT hard to shift the engine.......remove the starter and the clutch cable mount to give additional clearance, drain the oil and remove the oil filter/ cover/bolt (you were gonna do an oil change anyway, right?!?), place a jack and supportive piece of wood under the engine, remove the muffler mounting bolts, remove the the engine mounting bolts, carefully let the engine tip down and toward the front. You don't' have much room, but the airbox will juuuust squeeze through. If needed, some careful application of heat with a heat gun will allow you to 'fold' the box and slide it in. Heat to 'unfold' and make straight and smooth again. Reinstall engine mounting bolts, muffler bolts, new Filter, reinstall cover, put in new oil.

Check/adjust your clearances, clean your carbs, do your brakes. DO YOUR BRAKES. Who cares if your bike goes fast. What matters more is that your brakes can STOP you fast.

Dave

Stumplifter likes this.
  14. hogfiddles

They didn't........ Parts could have been located to restore its MM glory.... You did when you cut the back off----it could become a MM again if someone were to weld correct frame horns on again, though...... So it's not totally a goner.

Too bad it wasn't a generic Maxim though...... There's loads of those around. BUT, what's done is done....... We move on

k-moe likes this.
  15. Dillon r.

Dillon r. New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Here it sits after a week of tinkering new bars and seat will be in tomorrow have fender just waiting to mock it all up once the parts come in. Sanding down tanks to re paint. Painted pipes black.

16. Dillon r.

Dillon r. New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Just got the bars and seat now time to put the fender on and build a seat mount looking better and better super excited with how the bars look and feel!

17. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Have you checked your valves?

Stumplifter likes this.
  18. k-moe

+1
    Engine first, then move on to the time consuming things.
    It sucks to have to work on an engine when the rest of the bike is all brand-new-shiny.

Taku likes this.
  19. Dillon r.

Dillon r. New Member

engine runs just waiting on air filter parts and jets so in the meantime i am working on the body but yea i agree motor first which is what i started with.

k-moe likes this.
  20. Dillon r.

Dillon r. New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Just got done working on it got the seat and fender mounted up and pods put on gonna tie everything up and fire it up tomorrow night after work see how it runs with the pods. Was gonna be a slow build but anxious to get her on the road!