1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New XJ1100 owner

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JPV, Nov 21, 2019.

1. JPV

JPV New Member

Hi! I'm 24 and just bought my new-to-me XJ1100 Maxim. Other than all of the needed maintenance for an old bike, it seems really clean. Nearly all the chrome is in great condition. I am debating painting a ton of it black, or keeping the original look since it is a good specimen. And the previous owner removed the air box. Is that bad?

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and congrads on your bike. These bikes were designed to have air box on them, you can run them with PODS but it takes a bit of adjusting and changing out jets to make it run the way it should.

Go through the bike and make it safe. Change out the fluids if needed and might want to check the valve specs if you know they have not been done for a while. The bike is now yours, so do with it what you want. I would just say ride the bike, enjoy it while you have this time of the season. Not too sure if and when winter hits there so get as much riding in as you can.

3. JPV

JPV New Member

Winter is already here where I am at. So I will not be riding till about April. But, but gives me a few months to fix her up!

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

JPV in the threads where you are looking for parts click on avatar then click start a conversation to send a notice to seller then they will respond faster to you.
    what part of NH do you reside. I am above the Great notches, North of MT Washington

5. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Don't run it without an air filter or at least pods. Avoid pods if possible and use a standard air box/filter. It will make it a lot easier to get the carb right.