1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newbie from INDIANA, XJ750

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Leander J. Hoover, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Leander J. Hoover

Leander J. Hoover New Member

Greetings y'all!!!!

I'm very comfortable with bikes (rode since I was probably 4 years old), but that doesn't mean I know everything.

I am also an educator, so I know the cliche': "there are NO stupid questions!"

Thus.......my question.

*please note, I have read and printed out many pages. I'm not someone who quickly gets an account, asks a question, and leave.

My bike starts and runs easily. When I got from 1st to 2nd, I'll ride in 2nd for a short while, then the bike STOPS. The rear wheel locks up and darn near throws you to the ground. 1st gear sounds and rides easily. 2nd gear sounds like there are pieces (I'm familiar with the chain guide). Why would the bike suddenly stop? Would a piece be so strong that it would "lock up" the rear wheel?

Any advice would be appreciated. Anyone else live in Indiana?
    Thanks in advance! Leander J. Hoover

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Yes live in Indiana (Hobart) good chance chain guide is breaking up and you have some in the gearbox , suggest draining oil , pull exhaust system and drop the oil sump , you can see up in part of the engine .

Leander J. Hoover likes this.
  3. Leander J. Hoover

Greetings!?

I have access to a strong brother and a backhoe, which can help me flip my bike over for a tranny inspection.

If I flip it over, will it be easier/better to get at the parts and pieces of my primary chain guide? Is it better to go through the little hole inside the left side cover.

I assume that is why my bike won't go into 2nd gear, and sounds like something is rattling in the transmission.

Also, when I do get into 2nd or 3rd gear, my bike will completely stop and my real wheel locks up. Scares the HECK out of me, completely locked up. Luckily, I was only going 15mph. What the heck?!

Any advice? I think the backhoe will greatly help with flipping the bike, as opposed to a hernia. HA!

Thanks in advance!

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Not possible. The cases have to be split in order to remove the chain to get at the chain guide, because the transmission has to come apart to do the job (the guide is on the upper case half).

XJ750 Engine removal and split - Pictures.

To inspect it for plastic chunks you are much better off going through the shift cover. Think about what's going to happen to the bits of guide when you flip the bike over. They won't be where they need to be in order to remove them.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Jetfixer, Franz, chacal and 2 others like this.
  5. Leander J. Hoover

Greetings!?

As I sit in my garage, staring for hours at my bike, I keep thinking of the moment that made me decide to "dig deeper".

My xj750 shows all signs of the guide chain being broken/gone. I can't find 2nd gear. I've taken off the cam cover and peered through the little hole, and there are no bits of plastic in it. There is a little noise when I'm in first (on the stand). Something small bouncing around in the gears.

Drained the oil, and there might be some very small shards of metal; nothing bad.

Going back to WHYYYYY I decided to do this. Not only would I never find or get 2nd gear, but my bike would literally stop and the back wheel would lock up. When I thought I found 2nd gear, and left the clutch out, the darn bike would totally freeze up. Engine stopped, rear wheel stopped turning. This was scary when going 20mph!

Anyone have any thoughts on why the wheel would quit spinning? I'm doing a lot of research and I'm familiar with the emergency ectomy. I am doing my research. I'm not lazy.

Thanks in advance!

6. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

It doesnt take a very large piece of metal to jam between the gears and lock the tranny. Also, once its been mashed in there, it wont fall out by itself... Time to split the tranny.
    Or... You could just rev it out in first, skip second and go straight to third. Problem solved... Just kidding, thats a bad idea. ;)

7. Leander J. Hoover

Here is an update!

Tonight, I took the clutch cover (right side, as sitting on bike) off. The center piece (literally, the center of the clutch thing) of the clutch seemed wiggly. I could turn it and it was wobbly, left to right. *pic attached

I also dropped the Oil Pan. This was BAD news for me. There were obvious pieces of plastic (guide chain?????) and a DOG LEG in it! This obviously means it is time to split the case. Right? *pic attached

My questions are these:

1) Should I clean the oil pan in gas, clean the old gasket, put a new gasket, then put it back on?
    2) then, take the engine off the frame
    3) begin splitting the case?

Is there another way/method/order?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

put the oil pan back on just rinse it out then pull the motor np need of a new gasket at this point

k-moe and Leander J. Hoover like this.
  9. Colin 85 700

The large horse shoe shaped thing is most of one of your shift forks... Probly for second gear ;)
    Your tranny its f***ed.
    Put the pan on dirty with 3 or 4 bolts for now and either split the cases or find a donor motor if your not up to rebuilding it. Good luck.

10. Colin 85 700

To add, the pile on the top looks like teeth fromyour tranny gears andi believe the "dog leg" appears to be the lock retainer for the bolts on the camshaft gear, or somewhere...

11. Leander J. Hoover

What is this piece called? What does it do? It goes under the clutch plates (fell out when I took the cover off, so I don't know its orientation).
    I've looked at pics and schematics, but can't find out how it fits in. Right side-upside?
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That is an oil baffle, and it sits inside of the case just below and to the rear of the clutch.
    Get a service manual, and read the link I provided earlier (don't rely on just the link).

In years past many of us would reccomend shpping for a different engine to drop into the frame, but the chain guides are so old now that an original isn't long for the world, ao the one in an replacement engine would need to be replaced anyway. Many members have an unresonable amount of spare parts on hand, and transmission internals show up on Ebay all the time for cheap if a member here doesn't have a spare set of shift forks. Contact @chacal for the chain guide and gaskets.

Keep the repair in perspective. What will a newer machine (less than 10 years old) with similar miles cost you in comparison to the cost of the repair?
    Smiles-per-mile is a far better metric for value than resale price is.