1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

newbie maintenance questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cgutz, May 10, 2010.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Note: I originally posted this under another topic, someone suggested I post here.

New to this forum and have a couple maintenance questions about my 1983 Yamaha XJ550k. Let me preface by saying I am an average driveway mechanic with basic tools. Over the years I've replaced my own chain/sprockets, disassembled cleaned and bled the front brake calipers, etc.

1) My front forks are finally leaking. How difficult is this to replace them myself on the XJ550? Any special tools necessary. Any website guides on how to do it?

2) My rear brakes are starting to squeel, and they are fully adjusted down. the pads have never been touched in the original 22k miles. Is replacing rear pads hard to do? Any special tools or instructions required?

3) I've been told you can't adjust the valves yourself as it requires a "shim kit." Is this true?

Thanks.

2. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

#2 is now #1. replace those rear brake shoes now before they fail on you.

3. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

x2. fork seals are messy, and not all that fun, altho not difficult. You can get a piece of pvc to fit over your fork tube to seat the seal on the reassemble. Disassembly is a bit easier than assembly

I use an impact to break the bottom bolt loose as it has a tendency to spin with the insides of the forks if loosened by hand.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You don't need a shim "kit" to adjust the valves, just the proper sized shims once you measure the clearances, and then if the clearances are off (they will be!), then you will need to replace the incorrectly sized shims with the proper sized shims in order to bring the clearances into spec.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14827.html