1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

newcomer maintenance questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cgutz, May 10, 2010.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

New to this forum and have a couple maintenance questions about my 1983 Yamaha XJ550k. Let me preface by saying I am an average driveway mechanic with basic tools. Over the years I've replaced my own chain/sprockets, disassembled cleaned and bled the front brake calipers, etc.

My front forks are finally leaking. How difficult is this to replace them myself on the XJ550? Any special tools necessary. Any website guides on how to do it?

My rear brakes are starting to squeel, and they are fully adjusted down. the pads have never been touched in the original 22k miles. Is replacing rear pads hard to do? Any special tools or instructions required?

I've been told you can adjust the valves yourself as it requires a "shim kit." Is this true?

Thanks.

2. shnuffy

shnuffy Member

Welcome!

I'd suggest deleting this and reposting it in the XJ Chat section. You'll get more responses there.

To answer your questions... you are qualified to do all of the above. This website will be able to answer all of your questions, including walk-throughs for your forks, shims and brakes.

I just did the rear brakes myself. Very easy to replace... the Clymer manual has a good description on how to remove the wheel, and once the wheel is off, the brake cover literally lifts off, there's two shoes with two springs holding them together and it's like plug and play with the new shoes.

Take a look around the XJ Chat and General chat sections and you'll see about the shims and everything too.

Good luck!

3. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will repost under chat.

It appears I can't delete this thread once someone has responded?

4. shnuffy

shnuffy Member

Hmm... oh well, nothing lost by leaving it. :)

5. Altus

Altus Active Member

Here's a link to dis-assembly and overhaul on a set of XJ750 forks:
    XJ750 forks
    Yours will be similar, but without the anti-dive stuff.
    For special tools, you'll want a fork seal puller of course; but the biggest one is the socket holder several of us have built. It's really just a 2 foot long rod with a 19mm bolt head at the end to hold the socket head at the bottom of the fork when taking apart. Others have removed that bottom bolt before taking the spring out, and then didn't need the special tool.

Good luck!

6. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I think there's a better write up on forks for the non-xj750 seca models. There is no socket holder tool needed for the 750 seca forks (and it's not mentioned in that thread), and the fork seal is driven out by using the inner fork tube as a slide hammer.

EDIT: Here it is, written by Gamuru. By the way...the one mentioned earlier, written by Chorca is EXCELLENT for the 750 seca models.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=8355.html

7. Altus

Altus Active Member

Good find ManBot - that was the one I was actually looking for!