1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

no spark with new battery...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by losteboye, Jan 25, 2011.

1. losteboye

losteboye New Member

My 1981 XJ750 with 7800 miles has been sitting a while (4 months), as it needed a new exhaust system put on it.

I recently put the exhaust system on the bike, and found the battery was dead, tried jump starting it a couple times and it would start up for a few seconds then die.

Went and bought a brand new battery, let it charge up, then put it in the bike. The bike is cranking, but now I'm not getting any spark.

I've triple checked the wires, and everything seems connected exactly as it was before. Is it possible that something else could have gone bad? :(

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

You'll have to start testing each component, from the pick ups on.

3. madmorgan93

madmorgan93 New Member

My 82 xj650 had the original metal spark plug caps on and they are crap, it can short and earth through these. If yours are metal there definately worth replacing with plastic ones

4. markie

markie Member

+1 : You didn'd jump start it from a running car did you? I think this can cause the TCI to fail.

5. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

first thing to check is if it has battery power to the coils. If it does check and clean all connections make sure no corrosion . Ohm out coils and pick up coils make sure they are in specs if everything is in spec then its the dreaded tci

6. losteboye

losteboye New Member

I will start testing each component then.

I never tried to jump start it from a running car, at my work we have a battery charger with a quick start feature, would that cause the same issue?

I just find it so weird that with the older battery it cranked over and started up for a few seconds and then would die, but with the new battery it won't spark at all.

Oh well, not exactly the wizard of mechanics, I guess it's off to testing then!

Thanks guys!

7. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

Ok, need some clarification on this. You say that with the old battery it cranked over. With the new one you get no spark at all. Is the engine turning over with the new battery? How do you know you are getting no spark?