1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil Cooler

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Noahsxj, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

AF30F60D-F23C-4C47-8BF6-1E257E5C7BC6.jpeg Hey guys, does anyone know the process of getting oil coolers primed? Or if it’s necessary?

I installed a fj600 oil cooler with plate adapter on my xj550, and also replaced the pan gasket and clutch cover gasket.

so my bike is completely dry from oil, I know I’ll have to fill the oil filter housing, but that leaves the whole cooler and supply line empty still.

will it prime itself if I just add oil regularly and fill the oil filter housing? Or do I somehow have to bleed/fill the cooler, and the housing, and the lines?
    I’m making a permanent mount this weekend hopefully after I mount back up the freshly set carbs.
    thanks I’m advance.

2. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

no need to prime it, oil will simply pump up from the pump, through the cooler then back to the sump

Noahsxj likes this.
  3. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

Sounds good to me, I thought I read somewhere you have to fill the filter housing with fresh oil before reinstalling it, now that I’m thinking about it more, it sounds bogus haha thank you! @bensalf

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Looks good and nice and clean. Hope that works out for you.

5. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

yep, that would,nt be a bad idea , but how can you do that when the filter housing fits almost horizontal