1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil Level in Sight Glass XJ Maxim 550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by camelCase, Dec 3, 2018.

1. camelCase

camelCase Member

This may seem like a dumb question, but where do you guys keep your oil level at? I'm talking about coming back from a short ride, putting the bike on the center stand and checking the sight glass after a few minutes. The Clymber manual says anywhere between the min/max lines, however I burned out my clutches once and that made me so paranoid about oil level (I had a leak that I didn't see until it was too late).

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

with the 550 you want to fill up oil sight glass until you just have a Tiny air pocket at the top of the sight glass.
    I change the oil fill the sump with the speced amount then drop in an ounce of oil wait while i check clean other things then repete until i am to the point where there is just a little bubble. I do the ounce at a time thing so if i have no bubble I know what amount I am over by.
    also set rpm to 1100 or 1200 to reduce idle chain slap in the motor

when doing this I make sure bike is level right to left with a torpedo level and a wood shim under the center stand leg that is low

camelCase and cgutz like this.
  3. camelCase

camelCase Member

Thanks!

4. Jordan Pfeifer

Jordan Pfeifer New Member

so do you check the oil with the bike on the center stand. i have an 82 maxim 650. i have it on the center stand now. just wanted to know if checking oil on their would be good. or should i have the bike on the ground with both tires touching.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

oil check.PNG oil check 2.PNG when changing oil I use a torpedo level across the carbs to make sure the bike is level left to right and a wood shim to make it level. I check oil level when refueling on the gas station concrete pad. not to worried about level left to right on pad