1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil level

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tabaka45, Sep 15, 2019.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

The books says to warm the engine for 4-5 minutes, cut off and let it sit for 4-5 minutes and check the oil level. What exactly is that supposed to do.
    When I change oil if I add the proper amount of oil it is almost perfect with just a small bubble at the top of the window--new oil, not hot. If I idle it for a few minutes and let the sit and check again it is lower, so if I add oil it is more than what the manual says is the oil capacity. Also, there is no bubble when the engine cools down and all the oil settles. I don't want to overfill, so I am a little suspicious of adding after idle, especially if the sight glass is almost totally full after sitting overnight

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The reasoning is so you get an accurate reading in he sight glass under normal operating conditions. Oil does expand a little when it's warm, and more will drain into the sump as the bike sits overnight.

3. tabaka45

Then when you change oil you fill it, let it idle long enough to get warm and circulate a little, wait 3-4 minutes and top it off? So if I top it off so that there is just a small bubble at the top I probably won’t see any bubble after it sits overnight. That’s what has worried me a little in the past.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

As long as the level is between the lines you're fine. The purpose of the bubble is to alert you if the float needles are leaking; you'll see the bubble disappear. I top off when cold since I do my pre-ride check with the engine cold.

5. tabaka45

Thanks. That’s what I have been doing.