1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil pump chain drive

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by TerryAW, Sep 1, 2022.

1. TerryAW

TerryAW New Member

Hi Guys, anyone attempted to change the oil pump chain on the 900f through the clutch housing when the engine is in the frame? Mine is very (and I mean VERY) slack so could be causing the ‘clatter’ I can hear. I’ve had the cam chain tensioner out - that is fine now. There is a little play in the clutch basket but don’t think it’s that. Cheers. Terry

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I think it is the big needle roller bearing behind the clutch basket centre nut that is making the noise. The oil pump chain is meant to be slack (it has no tensioner for a reason) so it is not overstrained and I am convinced it won't be making the noise. The chain drives the oil pump off the back of the clutch basket tangs. You should investigate that needle roller bearing and renew the clutch bolts too. Do you have a Haynes manual for your bike? What mileage has the machine done?

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Here it is.

16620686010687465184331775073346.jpg

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

The large needle roller for the clutch can wear, but so can the small one behind it - the one the drive dogs and sprocket ride on - mine had worn the needles flat.
    So change this if its worn, then maybe you still need to change the chain... Well, it would need the sump off, and the oil pump removed, and if there is enough slack in the chain to get it up over the shaft it might be doable.

5. TerryAW

TerryAW New Member

Hi Franz, yes I have a Haynes manual but no specification on the amount of wear on the oil pump chain. Len at xj4ever thinks 1” (2.5cm) is ok - mine is less so have discounted that. I have had the clutch out and both bearings seem ok. The bike has done 33,000 miles. Thanks. Terry

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That is not a lot of miles Terry.

7. TerryAW

TerryAW New Member

Thankyou, Minimutly. Len at xj4ever believes the chain can be changed without removing the sump. He reckons 1” slack is ok and as mine is less than that I will leave it for now. I checked both bearings and they seem ok so I have put it all back together. Needless to say the ‘clatter’ is still there (had the cam chain auto tensioner out - ok there)Someone mentioned if the carbs are out of sync that can cause it but can’t see that somehow?

8. TerryAW

TerryAW New Member

No, but depends how well it has been treated by the previous 4 owners I guess. The whole bike was a complete ‘shed’ when I bought it so I am not surprised at the noises coming from the engine!