1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

oil seeping from hole in bottom of left side" case cover

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ElkHavenSeca, Mar 2, 2013.

1. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Last time carbs flooded my crank case with gas it seemed to over flow out what appears to be a weep hole in the bottom of the left hand 4" yics cover ?? is this a normal over flow event ?? Did i loose a seal under the cover . ?? Any one else ever seen this happen to them . it looks like the small hole at bottom of cover is meant to be there ??
    Any thing you can add would be great

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

"Seemed" being the operative word.

That cover is the ignition cover, the seal behind it is on the end of the crank and rarely fails.

However, gas-diluted oil will "run under" and "travel" to then drip off the lowest spot(s.)

I doubt very much that your carbs overfilling the crankcase caused a leak there. More likely it puked out the breather (further back on the left, on top of the trans/middle gear case) and migrated along the underside to drip there.

Take the cover off and look. That cover has to come off to check the valve clearances anyway, the big lug on the end of the crank is how you turn the motor over.

You'll probably need to replace the gasket.

3. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Thank you i will degrease and look again