1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil temperature gauge

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Lodewijk, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Hey

My bike didn't come with an oil temp gauge. I don't know if there was one on it stock, but the bike came to me without one (modded). I bought a temp gauge that screws on in place of the oil filler cap, but the measuring rod isn't long enough and doesn't reach the oil. Ideally, I'd like something a bit more precise. Any suggestions?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

None od the XJ series came with an oil temp gauge. They aren't needed. A longer screw-in type will be damaged by the clutch basket.
    What you really want is a head temperature gauge )thermocouple that hooks up to a sparkplug or head bolt), and even those aren't really needed.

Lodewijk likes this.
  3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Temp gauge will make you paranoid. I've never heard of one of these engines overheating - just make sure it's got oil in it.

k-moe and Lodewijk like this.
  4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

They do get warm if you run them too long in the garage. There are two solutions to this:
    1. Point a big fan at the engine to get air moving across the fins, and as a bonus, push all that carbon monoxide out the door, or
    2. Ride the bike!

5. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Well, that's one worry less, then. :)