1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Opinions - Worth checking out?

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by hessenr00ts, Aug 5, 2006.

1. hessenr00ts

hessenr00ts Member

I'm getting the project bike bug, constantly scanning craigslist for local steals on bikes that I can put some love into....and learn from.

I found this one today: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/190235052.html

Looks pretty rough but the sellers claims it's mechanically sound. Think I should check it out, or maybe try to talk the price down a bit and work with it?

2. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Hess
    Pretty rough and a bit small for the long haul.......
    but beauty IS in the eye of the beholder you know.

I'd be sure it was in sound mechanical shape 1st though.

Good luck there
    Mike

3. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Interpret this as - I have other projects and this is a basket case I want rid of.

Snapped off plug in the hole? Not sure if it turns over? RUN! far away.

Can't turn it over as it has no kickstart, but doesn't stop him putting it in gear and pushing to see if it turns.

If he offers $150 to come and get it then it MAY be worth it. :wink:

4. hessenr00ts

hessenr00ts Member

Haha, thanks HG.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see exactally what kind of shape the mechanical bits are in.

My basic theory on buying a project bike is if I can't get it started and running well enough to at least get me home, I'm likely not going to want to do the work on it.

5. geebake

geebake Member

I'm usually the first to dive into something (hence the hundreds of Seca Turbo parts littering my garage) but I think I'd pass on this one. Way too far gone. While I think it's a cool bike, I don't think it would ever be worth anything near what it would cost to just get into decent running shape. I don't think it's worth $1 in the condition it's in. I have a buddy that has 3 '73 CB450s that are in a similar (though probablyeven better) condition that he would give to me. No way anyone should pay $150 for that hulk. How can he possibly think it's mechanically sound when he doesn't know if the engine is free. Parts would be really hard to find for that thing and you would need some. Gaskets alone would probably cost more than the bike would be worth.

It might make for an interesting experience, but I'd really shy away from this one.

Greg

6. hessenr00ts

hessenr00ts Member

Hmmm, based on your review, I'll pass on it.

The hunt continues...