1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ouch...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by KrS14, Aug 8, 2013.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Got my first bee up the sleeve today, little prick got me twice before he fell out. Grrr lol

2. nycxj750

nycxj750 Member

Saturday I took two yellow jackets... one to the left arm(bicep) one right thru the chest.

3. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Another reason for the gear and helmet: to make the bug situation rare, rather than the norm!

4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. I always wonder if my reaction to such an event would be calm enough as to not loose control. Those buggers HURT! 8O

FYI:
    A honey bee will sting you once and then die. :wink:

A hornet, wasp, yellow jacket, dauber, etc. will sting you continually until you kill them or they get bored. :twisted:

5. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

Back in the day (1978) I was riding my Honda XL350 on base at El Toro and one of those buggers hit me in the throat and somehow got inside my t-shirt and found his way into belly button! I still remember finding humor (in between stings) as I was whacking myself in the gut with one hand while trying to control the bike with the other. I'd be willing to bet somewhere some former Jarhead is talking about "Once I saw this idiot flogging himself while riding a motorcycle" back in '78"!

6. Stumplifter

My turn! :eek:
    Got stung on the shoulde blade, someone went up my sleeve and then panicked at the shoulder and stung me. :x

Luckily traffic was light, I pulled over and quickly removed my jacket . . . Worried that if it was a hornet that more stings would be coming, especially if I tried to whack it while still wearing the jacket. I found nothing in the jacket and shook it out really good.

Worst part was the heebie-jee-bee's once I started off again.
    After a short while common sense reasoning clarified that the chances of getting stung again are VERY small (I hope!). 8O

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nope.

8. nycxj750

nycxj750 Member

Acctually once you have been stung once... you are MORE likely to get stung by others... because the insects when they sting you also infect a pheromone that marks you as a target for other insects to sting you...

9. Stumplifter

. . . that marks you as a target for other insects to sting you...

Good thing it's almost the end of the month and I can take my monthly bath! :lol:

True about the pheromone - my wife and I keep honey bees. Been stung more than once. 8O

10. GeekBikerGirl

GeekBikerGirl Member

OH GOOD LORD! I just laughed so hard I snorted LOUD! This sounds a bit too much like something I would hear at work. I know that bees/yellow jackets while riding suck. Been hit with too many bugs as a passenger to know that would really suck but this just made me laugh so hard it hurt.

11. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

I thought bees could only sting once....& then they lose their stinger......he must have bitten you once....lol

12. moellear

moellear Member

ditto. except for the wife part; I'm the oldest son of a family who I've helped dad since I could walk around the hives. Won first place at the Ohio State Fair in 4-H beekeeping project many years ago :)

I haven't been blessed with a bee sting on a bike ride, and hope to never experience it! haha

13. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Mate nearly died. Allergic reaction. Always carries adrenaline pen now.

14. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

An aside to this is to always be prepared for a 'sting,' but not just from bugs. Have you ever been riding and something goes wrong with an eye? Doesn't have to come from 'out there' either. It's a good idea to condition yourself to remain calm, no matter what, with respect to unexpected sensory input that isn't related to an obvious immediate threat to rolling down the road. Those little unexpected irritations or even pain you gotta learn to just shut them out long enough to get safely stopped if required, and then you can begin 'floggin' yourself or otherwise freaking out!! FF helmets, or ATGATT will cut down on such surprises.

The European wasps (red) or yellow-jackets really pack a punch though! So no doubt you must be disciplined or callous and just bear it until you can safely begin to flog or freak. 8O My hand swelled up like a blow up balloon. OUCH indeed!

...Epi pens are a must if you are allergic. Postponing your freak-out is a must for anyone at speed!

15. ronha13

ronha13 Member

Caught a june bug in the middle of my forhead at highway speed once.
    Hurt so bad I thought he was imbedded in my forhead lol

16. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Nice! I almost gave my laptop a coffee bath...

17. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

I wear a ff helmet and will flip up my visor under 40mph when its hot. I have twice had a yellow jacket hit my face. Both times ive closed my shield and trapped it inside. Flipping it up generaly spits them out, havent gotten stung yet.