1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Painted stock wheels

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Richard Elbon, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Richard Elbon

Richard Elbon Active Member

I painted them with the tires on. Used Vaseline on the tire then sprayed the cast areas. As soon as I got full paint coverage on it I used an old t shirt wrapped around my finger dipped in laquer thinner and wiped clean all the machined areas. Didn’t polish anything,it’s the factory finish.

2. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

My rims the aluminum areas are corroded a bit, they need a polish.
    If i use that method ill polish first. Thanks! :)
    I like the vaselene idea n thinner, sounds slick, i was gonna mask tire and sand off paint when dry if i left rubber on.

3. Richard Elbon

D72DDDEE-7FEB-4865-8AA2-E2042400CC8B.jpeg 820326B1-2E26-4F02-9B33-735E6D798485.jpeg I went to a friends house back in the 80s to help him paint the black part of a set of Mopar magnum 500 factory wheels.He taped it all off which was an hour or so. We shot them semigloss black factory color and they turned out nice however against my advice he left the masking tape on and let them sit in the sun for a few days. Yep, tape hardened and was a bitch to get off. I decided to find a better way. Hot Rod magazine did a painting article on a set of early Corvette valve covers shooting Chevy orange between the fins and wiping the fin edges with a lacquer thinner wrapped stick. That’s how I did my projects from then on. Works great and leaves a professional looking part.These are from my 83 GS 1100E,just did a month ago.

4. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Liquid tire buff, the stuff you clean the inner carcass before applying a patch, plug patch, boot, etc works very well to clean any over spray off of a tire should you get any on it in your painting efforts.

5. Richard Elbon

Which I haven’t finished yet on my Suzuki you can still see a little bit on the tire. Ran out of lacquer thinner and am looking for something like the tire buff that is not quite so toxic to work with.