1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Peanut Tank or Stock Tank Poll

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by jnimrod420, May 3, 2010.

?

Peanut Tank or Stock Tank?????

1. Peanut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stock

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

I cant decide. I think right now I'm leaning back towards stock tank. Just wondering what you guys think. I'm gonna go with a solo seat and a removable bitch pad on the rear fender either way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. butchietee

butchietee Member

I think the peanut tank fits your " flat black, I did this myself theme" alot better but the stock tank fits your current seat better. Either way, I'm lovin it. Great job!

3. tank

tank Member

I think the stock tank looks better on your bike, just seems to flow better. Once you make up your mind if you want to sale the peanut tank , I would be interested, just shoot me a pm

4. maximike

maximike Member

I like the stock tank...on a stock bike, here I'd say it looks too conservative and takes away from the custom look, the peanut tank makes it look like a crazy custom bike, stock tank=stock bike with ape-hangers.

Either way, I like the flat black, a friend of mine is painting my tank for me, I'm still debating what to do. I had a rattle-can metal flake black with a silver star, but getting good paint now. I don't think I can go flat black with mine, as I'm going for a stock/touring/streetfighter/WWII/LawrenceofArabia/cafe...no, I'm just kidding.

5. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

The peanut tanks seem to be popular with turning bikes into bobbers for the most part, but the riding distance is cut down considerably with the small tank. Some look alright if mounted properly (like they came on the bike nd not just added on) but I like my mileage range with a larger tank. The tear-drop shaped stock Maxim tank always looks good with the right paint job on it to me.
    It all depends if your a show off your scoot or if you just want to ride it some distance before filling up I guess.

6. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

It's a king peanut so its a 2.8 gal. Almost the same as my stock maxim tank. I love the look of the peanut when hard tailed & I know I would need a different seat if I keep it. But with the stock tank it really had a nice flow. I really like the stock tank also. I just love that old school bobber look. But now it almost seems to raw. I still would have to do some mods to the frame to make it fit better. I just want to be sure before I start hacking away at the frame. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I think I will leave this poll up for the week and then make my final decision. Sometimes I feel I'm to close to the problem/decision to see the answer. So this really helps. Thank You Everyone

7. roddyxj

roddyxj Member

i think that if you want to go smaler try to get a virago tank the 250 to be exact ..they are tapered close to the seat.....and it looks awsome plus the tunel fits the maxim... look it up ..

8. schooter

schooter Active Member

i'm most definately voting for the peanut tank- to me, with the stock tank, that bike looks like a cobbled together half hearted bobber, but with the peanut tank, it looks totally custom and whatnot... idk just my opinion

9. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I'll be in the same situation in a few months when I get to this stage. I'll be doing a hardtail on my '83 XJ750. I WAS going to stick with the stock tank, but after reading a ton of threads I like a more "sporty" tank after it's bobbed. What tank would look as good as the peanut tank only be a little bigger? I dig the look, but think it's just a tad bit small on there.

10. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

I hear ya koolaid. It is a bit small. The shape is sweet but it looks kinda small for the bike. I will warn you that to get the peanut to fit right you will have to do some hacking to the frame. Its those lower bars right under the coils thats in the way. I just have mine strapped on with zip ties at the moment (in true bobber fashion) 8) . I wanted to make sure I was gonna keep the tank on before the official chop/mods. I think i'm gonna go back to the stock tank (sigh) :? . I'm still switching to a solo seat also. I really dig the #42 on the side of the tank so I will probably put it on the sock tank. I'm gonna keep the peanut just incase I do eventually hard tail. I think it looks great when its hard tailed I'm just not totally satisfied with the look right now.

11. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I imagine that it may not look like it fits from all angles. An XJ engine is wide compared to "traditionally" bobbed bikes (you know what I'm talking about ;-) ) so while the peanut tank might fit the "look," the stock tank really fits the bike as a whole. Maybe it just need a 42 painted on it 8) . Either way...that is shaping up to be one cool bike.

12. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Yeah, I agree..... We need a big, fat, peanut tank shaped tank for our bobbed bikes :D

13. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I think the stock tank looks better. The peanut tank looks too short,maybe if you stretched it.....like a sportster 1200 tank?

14. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

ManBot13,

You were right it just needed a #42 painted on it :D . I put the stock tank back on. It is a nice looking tank anyway. Maybe i'll just save up some money, get a sporster, & keep the XJ for when the sporster breaks down so I still have a ride :wink: . Thanks Everyone you guys Rock!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Looking good....

So, that other tank. Is that a regular sportster tank? What year or are they all the same? I'm just asking, because a guy on another site is offering me an sportster tank for $60 shipped. Is that good???

16. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

That's a good price. I think it's a king peanut tank. I think it's a 2.8 gal instead of a 2 gal. I don't know the year it came off of. They are pretty much the same otherwise. Also you will need a longer fuel line because the petcock is on the other side. You will also have to do some mods to the tank or the frame because the frame under the coils gets in the way. Unless you have it like I did and somewhat Frisco the tank (Let it sit higher up).

17. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I just wish it was a little bigger. Maybe I should go with a mustang tank?

18. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Yeah I was getting about 85 to 90 miles before i had to switch to reserve. Its kinda a pain in the ass if you ride a lot.

19. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

not just for that, but for the look too.

20. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

The peanut does look small on our bikes. Our stock tanks our pretty nice looking though.