1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Petcock issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SnoSheriff, Aug 30, 2005.

1. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Yesterday on the way home I nearly ran out of gas 8O . I limped my Maxim to the gas station on fumes. Filled her back up and rode it home. Today I had a look at my petcock and noticed that it seems to be pointing to “Prime” with the ->. Am I reading this correctly?

I switched the petcock to "On" and after a minute or so the bike was starving of gas and slowly dying at idle. Same results in "Res" position. I can rev it back up but when at idle it starves itself again. What gives? I’m thinking of running some SeaFoam through my tank. Any other suggestions on how I can diagnose and fix this problem :?: :?: :?:

2. spinalator

spinalator Member

Check that the vacuum line is OK going to the petcock. If your float valves dont leak, you can run it on prime OK, it just uses gravity todrip gas down into the carbs instead of vacuum pressure (which you already knew). It is possible that you may have a little chunk of debris blocking the on position that is not there with pprime. That happened with my KZ. I have heard mixed reviews on petcock rebuild kits. Some work OK some dont.

3. mxracer

mxracer New Member

I AGREE. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND I HAD TO BUY A NEW PETCOCK FROM THE YAMMER DEALER FOR 78 BUCKS (US) AND IT DID THE TRICK. I ALSO LOOKED AND MY FLOAT LEVELS WERE OFF A BIT. THE BIKE IS GETTING TOO MUCH AIR AND NOT ENOUGH FUEL DUE TO THE VACUUM LINE LEAKING (OR THE DIAPHAM) SO THE INTAKE IS PULLING IN MORE AIR THAN FUEL BECAUSE THE PLUNGER IS NOT BEING PULLED BACK BY THE DIAPHRAM BY THE VACUUM. I THINK I SAID THAT RIGHT. HOPE YOU GET WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY.

4. B.B.R.

B.B.R. New Member

same problem here. as for the rebuild they jus dont ever seem to work right... i bought a new petcock no more problem.
    i would check the vacuum first like mx said. then pull the petcock out and check the screen. ( could just be clogged up). and when all else fails.... buy new. lol

5. winterhawk

winterhawk New Member

Try using your old diaphram. If that doesn't work you can use K+L's kit by thinning out the recessed area of the plastic block. The new plungers are a little bit shorter and won't seal right.