1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Petcock Vacuum

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jerrod Robinson, Apr 7, 2021.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Did you test the coils first, or did you just make a WAG and buy parts?
    If you just buy parts you'll be taking a long and expensive trip to having a reliable motorcycle.

The stator has nothing to do with the ignition system, except to make sure that there is voltage for it to function.

Please stop swapping out parts and start diagnosing to see if they need to be changed or not.

Beck likes this.
  2. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

After replacing the Stator did nothing I kinda went off assumption. They were only 20 bucks. And an extra set of Coils laying around never killed anybody.

Minimutly likes this.
  3. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

But I made a trip over to the guy I bought the Bike froms place tonight and brought the Original Engine home. Plus a whole bunch of parts. The OE is missing 2nd gear but runs good I guess. I have another rack of Carbs several Petcock's including what appears to be a Gravity feed. The other 2 look to be factory. But they both have RES which my current Petcock does not

4. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

The box he gave me has a single Coil in it lol. But I have a spare set of almost everything now. Apparently he bought a crashed parts bike. And the motor my bike currently has came from it. But the whole top end on the Original motor is supposed to be Good. I'm about as happy as Campers come right now lol.

5. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Ok guy's, so I learned about the high speed Stator Coil last night. So I decided to go back over my Stator install real fast and found out that the little plastic piece that screws into the Stator cover was actually backwards. Which obviously is not gonna work. So I installed it correctly. And I'm currently at moment of truth part 2 lol. I know this was a problem, hopefully it's THE problem.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

go up one size on the main jets

7. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Alright.

8. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

So I've done some more reading, and learned that the Chance Bad Coil's are responsible for 4 dead spark Plugs on an XJ-750 is slim to none. And seems how I replaced the Stator the only thing left is the Ignition Module. So it looks like I have a spare set of Coil's showing up later this week. But that's ok, from my experience riding old bikes so far, a spare set of Coil's ain't a bad thing to have.

9. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Fault finding by replacement is ok if you have known good replacements to hand....
    Oh, I'd go up at least 2 main jet sizes for a 4 into 1 straight through. Might not be right though, just for starters.

10. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Well, I noticed all 4 of my Plugs were dead the other Day. And it seemed unlikely that both Coil's would go at the same time. So I ended up ordering a replacement Ignition Module and it will be here tomorrow.

11. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

I also installed the Coil's that I bought, cause the ones that it came with are aftermarket, and didn't even line up with the Mounts on the frame. So that's where I'm currently at. Hopefully when I plug the new ECU in tomorrow it starts making some noise

12. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Oh, and my current Carb plan is to build the spare set that came with the original Motor I picked up the other day. What I'm working out now is if I wanna try to run the Pod's that they came with or not. I'm assuming they will require a size or 2 increase as well. And I'm wondering if they will be more trouble then their worth..

13. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Please don't, you'll never get it running right. And stop guessing and just buying bits - you need to learn how to fault find, step by step. Did you do any checks on the supply, input and output of the tci before condemning it?

Beck and k-moe like this.
  14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

^^^+ 10,000^^^

@Jerrod Robinson , slow the heck down. You’re hell bent on changing parts without knowing for sure if they need changing or not.

Beck likes this.
  15. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

It was the Ignition Module, it's fireing again. And unfortunately I don't really have a Choice. This XJ has been called up to Daily Driver. My CB-750 blew a Head Gasket, and fried a Cam Bearing again. But this time the Replacement cam let go on the way home because I'm pretty sure the Head warped this time. So now it's taken the XJ's spot on the back burner.

16. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

I decided to fix the XJ over the CB cause the XJ came with a parts Bike. I just wasn't able to bring any of it home cause I was in an Apartment at the time. I have 2 of just about everything for this XJ. Even the original Engine is good, it's just missing 2nd gear.

17. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

It's alive!!! Lol, the Ignition Module was the problem the entire time no more power drop off at high RPM. But my Carbs are all outta wack. Didn't even really get to ride it. Guess I'm gonna have to study up on how to tune these things.

k-moe likes this.
  18. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

I tightened them all the way, and then backed them each out 3 full turns. It was running, but would sputter when I would give it gas, and when I let off. Not the entire time. But it's definitely not right.

19. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

My 2 year old lost his mind lol, he hasn't settled since.

20. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

50 mile Maden Voyage complete, it was running better when I pulled back in then when I left.. Appreciate all the help guy's...

Attached Files:

Beck likes this.