1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Polishing an engine IN the frame.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by KrS14, Jun 7, 2012.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I'm thinking of shining up the old girls heart this weekend. I've got access to a remote wand dremel tool, and i'm thinking of using 3M or some type of pad cut to wheels and using that to get rid of the 30 years of badness.

Good approach? lemme hear your ideas of the best thing to use in this tool for best/easiest results.

2. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

IMHO you'll have to take the parts off -- first, you really have to strip the clear coat and I don't think you can do that with the components bolted on.

Lots of polishing threads just look around

3. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I should clarify after re-reading my original ramblings ;) I just want to (not polish) but clean up the engine, the front fins and crankcase. The side fins etc.

4. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

yeah, on some pf the engine theres a clearcoat, and on alot of the engine, theres silver paint. you cut through the silver paint and polish that, its gonna be all spotty and weird. best ive seen work is gunk engine degreaser and an assortment of brushes

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yep.

Look closely at the pic below. Your cases are similar; the upper crankcase (and on some bikes the cylinder block as well) were painted silver. The lower cases were left natural. You don't want to tear into the original paint; it will clean up nicely, it's pretty tough stuff.

The polished aluminum was clearcoated, that does need to be stripped for polishing those parts.

As for the rest, the above advice is sound. You can "pre-spot" with mineral spirits and a stiff brush, then use a citris-based engine cleaner, be sure it specifies it's for use on COLD engines. Don't leave it on the natural parts for too long; work it in with a brush and then get it hosed off.

For those stubborn stains on things like the head and cylinders, you can use a household kitchen cleanser like Ajax or Comet and a stiff brush.

Blow the motor dry with compressed air; and flush the "nooks and crannies" with WD40 then wipe clean.

Be sure to go for a ride once you're done to get rid of any latent moisture.

Painted uppers, natural lowers, factory original:

[​IMG]

6. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Hmmm... are we sure lower case is not painted? (I was under the assumption mine was.)

7. mtnbikecrazy55

I think it may be on the 650/750's? As i thought mine was too?

I'm gonna go check right now, lol

8. mtnbikecrazy55

yuppp, as always fitz proves right, the lower (way low) case that has the oil filter housing attached to it and comes halfway up the ignition points/cover is natural/unpointed. then its painted from there up.

9. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

10. Durk

Durk Member

I'd just yank the motor out in the off season. Leaving it in is like taking a bath with your clothes on.

11. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I can bathe fairly well with my clothes on. (don't ask) lol anyways, I forgot to say that I have done a cold metal citris engine cleaner + brush a couple times already.

That's the only reason the top fins look as good as they do.

I know it would be best to do this off season with a yanked engine. I won't have the facility to do that this offseason so i'm looking for the best ideas while engine is in the frame.