1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Power and starting problems

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Anthony Scobi, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Anthony Scobi

Anthony Scobi New Member

So I'm gonna try to make a long story short here. Thanks for reading.

I had a 1981 Yamaha Maxim (XJ?) 650 given to me from the family of a close friend who passed away. It's been out in the woods leaning up against a tree for like 4-5 years. It was the only thing he really owned, we were 22 when he passed. Id like to get it running and ridable.

Starter:
    So I got the bike to run for a few seconds with some fresh fuel and jumping the starter. Cool. But the push button to start isn't working. The oil light comes on when you depress it, like it wants to, but nothing. I pulled the relay and tested that, all good there. So it must be between the switch and the fuse box? Fuses are all good.

Weird switch thingy:
    I don't know what it is. Kickstand switch? It's a depressable switch that's just dangling under my seat in the fuse box area. When I depress it the neutral light on the cluster goes out.

Headlight and turn signals:
    Do they work when the bike is not running? I'm getting nothing on my voltmeter and I have the gas tank off so I can't leave it running. I've read that's the case for the headlight, but what about the turn signals? The taillight comes on with the key, and the brake light lights up when I depress the pedal.

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Someone else will have to help with the starter button issue.

Sounds like the kickstand switch, but I don’t know why it would be under the seat. Can you see where it should be attached next to the kickstand?

On my 700 the lights are on anytime the ignition in on except when the starter is engaged.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

this link IDs the relays and switches on bikes has a section that tells where they should be and how to bypass
    The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

this link has a vin id for bike

TECH TOPIC: Model ID and VIN's

it contains this link which is quick you can Id vin on motor in the short vin field . you want to id bike frame and motor

http://www.dissingermoto.com

to bypass sidestand switch pull sidestand relay

starter button can be cleaned with electronic contact spray cleaned. followed by a little silicon spray

after you id bike or post the vin, it should start JYA on the headstock then the next 3 letters id the frame. on the short vin it will be the first three letters.
    short vin on motor is near clutch lever on motor near oil filler cap it is a pad you may have to clean it off to see numbers

for an 81 xj650 you should see 4H7 for an 82 650 5N8

4. XJ550H

also if the bike has been sitting that long check oil level in sight glass with bike on center stand and sniff oil it may be full of fuel

head light comes on after motor spins fast enough or starts.
    it is likely your fuses are crap and you need to replace fuse box.
    could also be dirty ignition switch.
    Clean and lube the ignition switch

this is the basics on electricity battery supplies main fuse then main fuse runs to ignition switch and sends voltage back to the other 3 fuses.

the directionals may need new bulbs, cleaning of bulb sockets and related connectors or the left control needs to be opened and cleaned.
    any connector you dissconnect needs to be cleaned and greased with dielectric grease (silicon) or spray.

oil light should come on when starter button is pressed. clean the battery and starter connections on the solenoid as well as the 2 wire connector on the solinoid it is red/white wire(power) and blue /black wire connects to starter button. if you ohm the blue/black wire to ground and press starter button you will get a reading.
    because the oil light comes on I think your starter button is good and it is just a safety switch preventing your solenoid from closing

5. XJ550H

Jetfixer likes this.
  6. Anthony Scobi

Anthony Scobi New Member

Holy crap xj550h thanks for all that info. Looks like I've got some cleaning and testing to do. Now I'm not that familiar with these bikes but I'm pretty mechanically inclined... To be honest I really feel as though this is something pretty minor. I found out last night that after jumping the starter with some gas in the cylinders, once it gets started as stated, the headlight and dash lights come on. It's once it's generated enough of a charge.

Also, I'm not getting fuel to my carbs. I installed a new fuel filter and then hooked the gas tank back up thinking it would run once I jumped the starter again. However it doesn't seem to be pulling fuel. This is a vacuum operation on this bike? Appears to be anyways...

Edit: I really wouldn't be opposed to just wiring in a switch directly to the starter and eliminating all this other mess, *IF* everything else works as it should once it's running. Now that I know the bike will run, that's what led me to the possible fuel issue.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  7. XJ550H

vacuum hose could be bad 4mm id is size. carbs will need to be cleaned could be clogged needle valve filter, fuel rail, stuck float.

you can set petcock to prime.
    to test petcock apply vacuum to hose and see if fuel flows out the fuel port. you can suck on hose or use a vac pump/brake bleeder

8. tabaka45

If it has been outside under a tree for 4-5 years I would be astounded if you could simply add gas get it to run. Good thing you are mechanically inclined because you probably have a lot to do to get it roadworthy. Mine was stored inside and probably had not been ridden for about a year and I had to clean, adjust and sync the carbs, adjust the valves, replace fork seals, replace rear brakes, rebuild front calipers and master cylinder, replace front brakes, replace air filter with stock filter, rebuild the petcock, replace oil and filter, and replace alternator shaft seal and brushes before I got it in really good shape. It only had about 10,000 miles on it when I bought it. But it was well worth the effort.

Jetfixer and Simmy like this.
  9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

10. Anthony Scobi

Anthony Scobi New Member

Believe me, most of that stuff needs attention as well. Fork seals, brakes, oil and filter, etc.. However can you go into detail about the petcock? I think that's my problem. I pulled it out, was able to blow through it, but with it on the tank, I for life of me can't suck anything through it. It's like it's blocked, I can blow through it but I cannot suck anything through it.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The petcock (if original) is vacuum operated.

Rebuilding the Yamaha Vacuum Fuel Valve w/pics

12. tabaka45

If you put the petcock on Prime I think you should be able to blow through it. If not then it needs to be rebuilt. Like k-more said, it requires vacuum to work on reserve and run positions. Prime is for filling the carbs after a rebuild or running the tank dry.

Franz likes this.
  13. Anthony Scobi

Anthony Scobi New Member

Well I got it running. Got the petcock to work and she fired right up when I jumped the starter. Still no high/low beam or directionals, so at least now I know it'll run. I guess time to chase wires.

14. S10gto

S10gto Member

I'm sure you checked the fuses but I find from time to time I need to roll them with my fingers in the box to scratch in a good connection. Glass fuses suck.

15. XJ550H

at minimum go to inline blade holders. about 6$ each just find one for the main fuse with 20/30 amp rating.
    or search ebay the have oem style replacment box iff you wish to keep the glass fuses ad is for 650s