1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Progress on Valve checks and questions along the way.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jchalo99, Jun 17, 2013.

1. jchalo99

jchalo99 Member

Ok so i am taking my time doing this valve clearance check, because i know i am opening a can of worms. I am going to need to replace atleast 2 exaust shims, and proboly more. I am going to need a new valve cover gasket, and donuts.

I got the crank case cover off, and only had issues with 2 of the 4 bolts, I am looking to replace all four with Socket Head Screws. What threads are on them?

My Pickups look kind-of corroded, are they still good?

and is that square nut a 19mm because it was a very tight fit?

Attached Files:

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Screws are M6 X 1 by whatever length you need. If the plugs fire those pickups are good but spray them with some WD40.
    I use a cresent wrench on the square nut.
    A simple degree wheel will make the shim job quicker

3. jchalo99

jchalo99 Member

never thought of the degree wheel.

Thanks.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Set the first one and all the others will be 0, 90, 180, or 270 from there.
    On that cam then do the other cam

5. jchalo99

jchalo99 Member

sweet, and "T" is top dead center on cylinder 1? what is "C" and "U"?

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

"C" is where you line up the pointer to adjust the cam chain tensioner. Dunno about that "U" shaped symbol; may have to do with "firing" position as it's a few degrees BTDC.

You also don't really need a degree wheel; you just need the cam lobe to be pointing "straight up" in relation to the face of the shim.

Yes, the square projection is a 19mm if you use an open-end wrench.

Don't look at adjusting your valves as a "can of worms." It's simply routine maintenance that will need to be done again every 5000 miles. After you've done it two, three, four times it becomes pretty mundane.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

yep your right Fitz, you don't really need a degree wheel. you can guess eight times what "straight up" is or use a degree wheel like the rest of the world does.
    i would think something that's stressed so much as something that NEEDS to be done would be taken a bit more seriously than eight good guesses
    just say'en

8. jchalo99

jchalo99 Member

ok update, i opened up my valve cover. it wasnt as bad as i thought. It was overflowing with oil, had the bike on the side stand... 1st lesson learned.

my metric feeler gauges are comming in shortly. but i used my decmil. here is what i got.

for exhaust side: .102mm-.127mm, .152mm-.178mm, .152mm-.178mm, and .102mm-.127mm
    for intake side: .127m-.152mm, .102mm-.127mm, .102mm-.127mm, and .076mm-.102mm

so what are they supposed to be?
    exaust .160mm-.200mm
    intake .110mm-.150mm

so even with my standard feeler gauges, i can tell my valves are tight or way tight. except for cylendar 1 intake. so thats 7 new shims. i need to redo this with metric feeler gauges.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't know that "the rest of the world does" (use a degree wheel.) Yamaha didn't seem to feel that it was necessary (not mentioned in the FSM.) Yes, this NEEDS to be done REGULARLY. But it's NOT that finicky of a process once you've experienced it a few times. "Eyeballing" the cam lobe to be in the correct position seemingly works fine for most folks.

jchalo99 Not necessarily 7 NEW shims, you could swap over appropriately sized shims from other cylinders once you "read" them and see what is currently installed. Finding 7 of 8 tight on a bike with untouched valves is not uncommon at all. Good catch.

10. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

@jchalo99
    You'd better check your clearances once again with your metric gauges, because according to your first readings, it is fairly possible that intake #2 and #3 are on the tight side of specs, and #2 and #3 exhaust as well.

11. jchalo99

jchalo99 Member

i am using a degree wheel next time, i see the benifits. it would be alot faster. because i am trying to find the biggest one that will fit, and turning a little bit at a time seeing if it changes. I do plan on redoing the reading with the correct tools, because there is not enough accuracy to continue. the metric ones i am getting are from .050mm - .250mm with i believe 100 blades. so i am hoping it would work better.
    once i get money i am ordering the valve shim tool, should be ordering tomarow hopefully. and then i will read the shims, i think it is safer with the tool rather than wire or zip-tie. i have replacement socket head cap screws for the crank cover. the valve cover i am looking at refinishing with paint and polishing while it is off.

12. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

ZIP-Tie method works great also......and alot less hassle....

13. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

I think a heavy gauge wire works better - less chance of it getting cut and falling into the cylinder like one of our members experienced.

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I use the zip tie, don't use a degree wheel, can do the check between 15min and 1/2 an hour. I don't need a degree wheel cuz I can see the cams and can easily see when a lobe is pointing directly away from the shim.

Dave F

15. jpacman

jpacman Member

Like you guys said; once you've done it a couple of times, it gets easier and faster. From the time it goes on the center stand to the time I restart it is about one hour. And all the tools are put away as well.

I use the valve tool from Motion Pro. 20 seconds to install, 20 seconds to remove. No degree chart, just use your eyes for "straight up".

Just don't back the cams onto the tool. Very bad things will happen. Search for the tutorial on valve adjustment.

16. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Keep in mind if you use the shim tool to hold your valves open disconnect your battery. Here's why.

Also when using the tool there are times when you must turn the engine in the "wrong" direction (this won't hurt it). Take caution not to rotate a cam lobe into the tool or you'll end up with a cracked head.

And to stir the pot a bit I agree that a degree wheel is unnecessary. :) Not saying it won't work, but it's not hard to just look at the lobes.

17. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Thats why the zip tie might be the preferred method......no chance of breaking the head cover by backing the cam lobe into the tool....& snap....you are screwed then.....

if a piece of zip tie breaks...it will melt during combustion.....no big deal.....fold the zip tie in half & insert...it should never break off that way....

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

here's a link to a degree wheel that fits on the ignition rotor. get one lobe right and put the wheel on with a line lined up with your pointer and take it from there.
    there's also a shim calculator someone made that works real nice, thanks whoever you are. excel and open office formats
    degree wheel and calc
    none of this is in the factory book, they didn't feel it was necessary

19. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

I wonder what size (width, thickness) of zip-tie would work the best?

20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

a kind of big one thats not brittle. i put the end with the knob in and get that wedged in