1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Project Saddle Bag

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ribo, May 5, 2018.

1. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Sure is entertaining though :)

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yup. I'll be getting the dealership to change the back tire on the Reb later this month. They're real pros.

chacal likes this.
  3. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    As several of you have been asking more info about this project here are the details.. Now as always there's more than one way to skin a cat and what I did might not work for you especially if you still have the stock blinkers/indicator please take this as a guide or information to help you do your own custom thing... I'm sure y'all can manage.

Here a list of all the parts I used for putting it all together just for one bag

Bracket metal is Everbilt Flat Bar Plain Steet from Home Depot - 1" x 1/8" x 36" lengths - I got 2 brackets out of 1 length so you'll need 2 for both side and a spare for when you mess up. :)
    Internal case metal reinforcement bars is 1/8" Aluminium Flat Bar - not sure of the length it's sold in but each piece was about 8"
    -
    4 x M6 1.5" bolts
    4 x M6 washers
    4 x M6 compression washers ( spring washer / split washer - they seem to be called different things in different places)
    4 x M6 nylon lock nuts
    -
    1 x M10 2" bolt
    1 x M10 washer
    1 x M10 compression washers
    1 x M10 Wing Nut
    -
    1 x M8 threaded stud 25mm ( as noted above)
    1 x M8 washer
    1 x M8 compression washer
    1 x M8 wing nut

All of this I got from home-depot except for the M8 threaded stud - they have them but they're not long enough ( see link below ).

In order to make the bags line up, the rear bracket has to be bigger in the top dimensions (which is in the middle here).
    Rear --- 2.5" x 4" x 8.5"
    Front -- 1.5" x 3" x 9"

Probably going to round off the ends with the bench grinder and maybe shorten them a little here when I get a chance but those are the spec's I ended up with right now that you see in the pictures.

Forward mount point I think is one of the sissy bar bracket holes just next to the shock stud it's an M8 hole. I used a M8 25mm threaded stud with some thread-lock on it from here.. ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/162854271876)

The rear mounting point is what I think was used for the rear turn signals. I have aftermarket signals that are moved back to the very rear points on the frame so those holes are free. I used an M10 bolt from inside the fender through those holes here.

The brackets are attached to the case at the top and bottom with aluminum bars inside the case as you can see in this thread. So I guess the case itself is preventing any lateral motion but that's really minimal as everything is held very tight together with compression washers on every nut so I don't expect any lateral movement unless someone kicks it.

One thing I recommend is getting a set of metric drill bits - I really wish I'd had those and maybe next time I might try scoring the inside for the steal and heating it up a lot more to try and make a better / more predictable bend. After making the first set its proving hard to replicate the bend point exactly for the second one...

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I like your bag idea .I broke down and bought the factory hard luggage and had to fabricate turn signal brackets used the stock licences plate bracket .

Attached Files:

Ribo likes this.
  5. xjyamaha

xjyamaha Member

Anyone have any knowledge of saddlebags that work with the 650 Turbo? I’m gonna try to take mine to Sturgis next month - gotta do it once right? - and wouldn’t mind a set of bags for the almost eight hour ride. Have someone taking a vehicle as well, but I have a two hour solo ride to meet up with the group with all my stuff.

Ive looked extensively and haven’t seen much for the turbo bike, with the luggage kits I’ve seen requiring the use of the grab bar mounts which my bike doesn’t have.

Turbo forum didn’t have any info.

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I think user ManBot13 has some on his bike, you might want to ask him about them............

7. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

When I got my 81 xj750 seca, the bags were about the only thing good about the bike. As of now, it's together, and riding, but surely not complete. Mad Maxine will forever be that riding project bike. Including acquiring Maxine, and everything else except fuel refills, I'm into it for about $225. So it gets just enough attention to be safe on the road, and riding everyday.
    The handles don't rattle a bit and these hard case ammo cans are actually pretty awesome! Last photo is without cans to show mounting hardware. IMG_20181227_171136588.jpg .... Currently bike is parked till new braided front brake hoses arrive tomorrow afternoon and ITS KILLING ME!!! IMG_20181125_104217_200.jpg Screenshot_20181127-230129.png IMG_20181221_191448381.jpg
    IMG_20181230_223850560.jpg

Attached Files: