1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Push button Ignition switch.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by XJAlex550, Feb 4, 2016.

1. XJAlex550

XJAlex550 New Member

Hello there fellow XJ riders! So I've been following this forum for about a year now and haven't posted anything until now. I have been helped immensely by browsing and reading and browsing and reading and I thank you all! I have a mod that popped up into my head and want to know if this was feasible. Here is is, I would like to get rid of the keyed ignition switch and add a push button ignition switch. Now here is the kicker! Given that you sacrifice all security by deleting the key aspect, what I want to do is add two push button switches, one in replacement of the O.G. ignition and to add a little security mount another one hidden on the bike somewhere. How should I go about doing this so that I have to press the hidden switch in order for the main push button to work allowing me to start my bike! [​IMG] this is the switch I would like to use. [​IMG] here is the wiring diagram. Thanks guys!

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

You could....need to know what bike. Also, depending on the model, you'd loose the ability to lock your steering when parked.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you would put the second switch in the 12 v power source line to interupt voltage to exposed switch or intrupt voltage to fuse box.
    some bikes have a 3 wire switch. hot from main fuse in. hot out to rear tail lights and hot to remaining fuses.

that switch would not work it needs at least to be able to support 20 amps
    you could use it to control a relay to meet the requirments of the bike but xj's have enough of them already
    do you have a real wiring diagram? and amp specs.

4. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

there doesn't seem to be a current rating of the switch, unless you are going to wire in a relay, the switch would need to carry the maximum load of the bike (except the starting current) i.e headlight, tail light , indicators, instrument lighting e.t.c---e.t.c.
    stu

5. XJAlex550

XJAlex550 New Member

Ok I could contact the distributor to see the amp rating. Its for an 1982 Xj550J. As for locking the steering when parked I didn't even know that was a feature on these bikes. I wouldn't even know how to do that haha. As far as amperage on the switch it doesn't say I could see if I could contact the distributor and get some more specs. This was all that was available to me. So for this to be possible I would need a switch capable of 20 amps and just wire them so the hidden switch would interrupt the 12 volt flow correct?

6. XJAlex550

XJAlex550 New Member

Well I actually did find out that the rating is only 3 amps haha so that definitely won't work.

7. XJAlex550

XJAlex550 New Member

Or can I use this switch if I install a relay that will carry the 20 amp load? Just to let you guys know I'm more of a mechanic than an electrical person, so some of this stuff is quite confusing.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  8. XJ550H

yes you can install a relay and use the switch to turn on the relay as long as the coil amps on the relay does not exceed the switch amps.
    you could also use a diode to keep the relay running if the switch is a momentary switch.
    for your second switch you could use switch 1 to power switch 2 which turns on relay.

why do you want to go through all this?

also they make switches that install into the handle bars to do all this it will give you a nice clean look
    http://www.dimecitycycles.com/mini-chrome-push-button-switch.html

http://revivalcycles.com/collections/for-your-ride-controls-buttons-and-switch-housings

9. XJ550H

10. XJAlex550

XJAlex550 New Member

Yeah... see I was not prepared for all this work. Like I said I'm not very electrical savvy. I think I might opt out on this option. I just thought it was a cool idea because I am in need of a new ignition switch and thought I could change things up a bit. I'm adding fog lights to the bike so maybe ill just use one of these switches to control those instead. This seems like a little too deep for my adolescent knowledge of wiring and the workings of electrical current.

11. XJ550H

look in the mod forum there is a old post that just came up on relocating the switch

ignition relocation

12. XJAlex550

XJAlex550 New Member

I saw that, that is actually what got me thinking about doing this mod. Thanks for your help guys!

13. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

if you intend wiring fog lights through that switch, then 3 amp x 12volt gives 36 watts, maximum. your lights would need to be less than 36 watts, or, again you need a relay,:(
    stu

14. jayrodoh

No offense, but you might want to skip this mod then. The factory setup is solid and reliable. Last thing you want is your bike shutting down unexpectedly or leaving you stranded. You're also dealing with enough amperage to set fire to your harness or more very quickly if not wired and fused properly.

15. XJAlex550

XJAlex550 New Member

The fog lights are LED and only consume 9W so I think i'll be ok there. As far as doing the whole push button ignition yeah I stopped dreaming about that one haha:D

16. XJAlex550

XJAlex550 New Member

[​IMG] Here is a 20amp switch that I found and like better its a 20amp rated switch so Ill be just fine!

jayrodoh likes this.
  17. moocicle

moocicle New Member

I put a pushbutton system on all bikes. Maybe eight so far.. Its the only way to roll. And I NEVER have to worry about losing my key.

18. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

The Motogadget M-lock is a motorcycle specific RFID ignition disabling setup. Uber sweet parts that are German made and work flawlessly. Most of thier stuff integrates as modules. Very nice stuff and priced at about $150.
    Screenshot_20190118-124423_Google.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    jayrodoh likes this.
  19. jayrodoh

I was very tempted to put one of those on my bike when I built it, I’d loose the steering lock unless I carried a key still. Would need it for the seat too. Still considering it for version 2.0. Would get the little pill and sew into my glove.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  20. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

My thoughts exactly.
    I lost the factory steering lock with my fork swap. I don't miss it
    I relocated the ignition across from the fuel petcock on the other side. With the under seat access ,the key mechanism could be removed completely and operated with just the spring catch.
    No key, like my car, just a card in my wallet needs to happen down the road.
    I access my house, shop and get around areas at work via key cards or smart phone.
    That just leaves my mailbox and garden shed having keys.

I need a button,
    no FOBs,
    just one card or an app.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019