1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

[Q] to Pod or not to Pod... Community Question?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bobbytheblack, Aug 6, 2011.

?

Pods on the XJ650

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Makes no difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bobbytheblack

bobbytheblack Member

So I've been reading and it looking and it seems like A LOT of people have added Pod to their bike from the pictures I've seen (as far as bobbers and cafes go) but reading it seems not such a good idea, for one reason or another.

I havent found a definite answer as to why you shouldn't, especially seeing so many people have done it.

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

Other than the use of a YICS tool, pods are probable the most devisive subject on this forum, there thousands of posts on the subject, in the end, if you like the slick look of pods, go for it. Rejet: mains up 3 sizes, pilots up 1.
    Happy motoring ;o)

3. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

pods make your bike lean deeper in the corners, prevent clouds from bursting into rain and always pull more birds.

Seriously though they can be a tuning nightmare if you're not fully prepared for it and really have your act together. Even when done right the power characteristics garnered aren't to everyone's liking. You can get more peak HP but very little extra area under the curve. Power delivery is usually rougher with more flats and spikes.

How ya liken that roaring sound of freedom last couple days?

Also, come on out to Backfire night in Ballard. There's at least a couple XJers there every third wednesday of the month.

And last but not least, welcome to the site. Howdy neighbor.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

THAT pretty much sums it up. It depends on how much "rideability" you're willing to give up, and how much work you're willing to put into it. CV carbs don't work well with an unrestricted air supply but it can be done. And everything else has to be right first or you'll have mucho issues.

5. bobbytheblack

bobbytheblack Member

lol, I dont want to give up any rideability, but I am willing to put in LOTS of work.

sound like its best to leave things as is then...

6. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Absolutely.
    If you have a MASS of parts laying around, jets, pods, carb tuning parts, and just have the ability to mess with it for days and do a lot of trial runs, plug chops etc. Then yeah do it! But you'll find your powerbands, mpg, and overall fun with this bike is best stock.