1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Radiator Delete 1986 XJ750 Maxim X

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Andrew Grierson, May 23, 2020.

1. Andrew Grierson

Andrew Grierson New Member

Hey guys,

This is my first post here and I'm exited to be a part of this community!

I bought my first bike the other day, the XJ750 Maxim X, and as nice as the bike is stock, I want to make some modifications to make it more my style. Firstly I was wondering if anyone here had any solutions or tips for getting rid of the big rad on the front of the bike. I know these bikes have issues with running hot when stopped at lights and what not but my mechanic buddy seems to think getting rid of the rad and going air-cooled shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this and let me know what I will need to complete this modification!

Thanks everyone, I look forward to what you have to say!

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Never, ever give your bike to your mechanic mate to fix, he's an idiot.

Beck, chacal, Mechanic1978 and 3 others like this.
  3. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Your buddy is an idiot!

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

sell your 5-valve bullet and pick up an XJ700N, it is exactly what you've described.
    Its a big trade down though.

Beck likes this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

mechanic buddy bike has to be water cooled because it has 5 valves per cylinder that was the trade off.
    MB needs a new job

Beck and Gato99 like this.
  6. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Welcome to the world of XJ bikes. Have fun, it's a pretty fast bike for a 1st bike but just take it easy. I would not remove the radiator,
    there are other things you can do to make the bike more pleasing to your own style. I'm guessing you'll get used to the look after a bit?
    As a matter of fact I've been thinking of installing an oil cooler on my 750 Maxim because besides keeping the engine cool it would
    also look cool.
    Cheers, 50gary

Beck and Andrew Grierson like this.
  7. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

'mechanic buddy seems to think getting rid of the rad and going air-cooled shouldn't be a problem'

Perhaps he is confused by the other XJ models some of which feature an oil cooler 'radiator'. It would be feasible to get
    rid of that but only at the expense of even worse over heating in traffic The water cooled 'X' based on the FZ750 tech
    would be tricky to convert and would require an entire compatible 'top end'. A job for Allen Millyard perhaps but not 99.9% of the rest of us.

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Tell him to take the radiator out of his car then he can drive it around like an old VW.
    Same logic.....same result——

Beck, Gato99 and PavelK313 like this.
  9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind your 750-X is a very limited bike. Even though there appear to be lots of them in Canada, it is the only country that got them. Current value is not great but that might change in future.

Andrew Grierson likes this.
  10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have a good shape 700N that I would be will to swap with you? That would be a good idea to look for in your area. Please do not remove the rad to make it look better. I have a few air head bikes and still prefer water cooled bikes. Nothing wrong with air heads, but if the bike was engineered, build and shipped OEM with a rad to cool her, you had better stay with it.

Even a relocation kit or one off product could be done but not recommended. The Honda Hawk models had the rads on the side of the bike under the cover with huge fans on them.

11. Andrew Grierson

Thanks for your helpful input and ~constructive criticisms~ ;) hahah please bear with me as I am completely new to the world of motorcycles and my "MB" has never worked on this kind of bike!

Just curious, are there any aftermarket rads to fit this bike that are maybe a little more compact?

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

If the thing getting hot at a light is what’s bugging you, put a manual switch on. It’s a known issue, and a know solution. The engine is a liquid cool engine—- if you think taking off the radiator is gonna keep it from getting hot, it’s not. Take that off, and you lose all your cooling. It’ll overheat before you’re a few miles up the road.

If you are bent on removing the radiator, remove the bike and replace it with a non-X bike.

Both the X and the airheads are on the “rare” side of things now. As I understand it:

1. we know they were available only 2 yrs... ‘85-‘86
    2. USA only got the 700’s
    3. More X’s were produced than airheads, making the Airhead less common. But now the X is less common
    3a. People didn’t treat the X’s properly, they were a hotrod, and many got burned up or wrecked.
    3b. Now the more mild/mannered airhead is more common.

13. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I think the aftermarket build replacement rads for dirt bikes for crash replacements. I'm not aware of any smaller rads for street bikes, I'm not aware of anyone asking?
    To me the rad says "don't mess with me, I've got a 5-valve Genesis motor ready to unleash".

Franz and hogfiddles like this.
  14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Will a smaller radiator dissipate the heat well enough?

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  15. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

A smaller rad might work if you have a strong enough fan pushing cool air across it.
    For my 911-X I had a Honda Sabre radiator but no way to mount a fan without modifying the Seca frame.
    The bike was fine until you got stuck in traffic jams.
    My solution was a custom-made 2nd rad in tandem to the Sabre with an FZR1000 fan and shroud.
    I could probably eliminate the Sabre rad altogether now, so back to the OP @Andrew Grierson , yes you can eliminate the rad on your X if you're willing to mount a chair, LOL

rad.JPG

Franz likes this.
  16. Andrew Grierson

Okay it's good to know that that could be an option!

@Simmy Hahah I think I'll keep exploring option but thanks! :D

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I like that the radiator between the bike and sidecar, that's cool no pun intended lol. The second radiator would increase the volume of the coolant too with longer cycles through the water jackets around the cylinders.

18. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You are correct, with the volume of both rads I rarely if ever need the fan. I have a manual switch I just turn it on if I'm in a long line of traffic.

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

What is your extra lever for that is adjacent to the rear brake lever?

20. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

that is the ejection lever to separate the sidecar and blast its occupant into the ditch!
    No seriously its a separate brake for the sidecar. I found a twisted up 550 Maxim at the local wrecker's yard and sawed off the entire brake pivot where it attached to the frame.
    Now I have matching brake pedals. I do use it if there is someone heavy in the sidecar, it helps to initiate RH turns.